chapter five

"Then I really am that special," Neteyam took a deep breath, his eyes were still focused on you. His tail swayed around peacefully, laying itself on your shoulder, hanging.

"You must really want to be special, Neteyam." You moved your legs, swinging them back and forth slowly again. The water below the tip of the rock overlapping itself in waves. You looked down at the tail. The hair at the end of it confused you. You've never seen something like that before. Yours was thicker, much more eligible for swimming.

"I became your friend without asking, you accepted my friendship, isn't that special?"

"If that is what you want to think, then yes, it is special." You liked his persistence. Maybe you two were a lot alike in that way.

His eyes dropped to your sewing, keeping a subtle smile and then he looked straight ahead into the water. "Do you sit here always?" He questioned, "Not always. I sit here when I have time, or when I want to. Sometimes I am busy with sister, finishing tasks I have been given." You explained, "Tsireya will come with me sometimes. It is a nice rock."

Neteyam laughed, "It is a nice rock?" He said. You turned your head to him, a little bit confused. "It is a nice rock. Why do you question that?"

"Nothing. It is a nice rock."

"You are laughing Neteyam?" You spoke up, almost sounding as if you were threatening him.

Your smile was now more of a smirk, he looked at you slightly surprised. "What if I am? What will you do?" He leaned in, returning the threat.

You thought for a moment, your eyes trailed over to the water below you, then back to him. He got the message. Backing away and scoffing, you placed your hand on his shoulder, gripping it a bit. "Laugh again Neteyam, isn't that what you wanted to do?"

He smiled, snickering once again. You couldn't tell if it was from being nervous you'd throw him off into the cold water or if he was just really testing you.

You furrowed a brow at him, and nodded your head in approval. "Come on, laugh," You repeated.

He shook his head, but nothing changed as he was struggling to contain his laughs. You let go of his shoulder, sighing while you went back to your work. You smiled, your teeth visible, where as before you kept a closed mouth smile.

"I am just messing with you Neteyam."

"I knew that, you wouldn't throw your friend into the water. You wouldn't want me to get hurt,"

"Mhm." You simply grunted. Nudging his shoulder with yours. "I wouldn't."

Even though you had just met him, you didn't feel awkward.

"Neteyam, what is your home like?"

"My home," He tilted his head a bit, as he began to speak but was cut off by Tsireya walking towards the two of you on the rock. She had somehow managed to get on top without you realizing.

"Hello." She greeted you and Neteyam, always as welcoming as ever.

"Tsireya, you came tonight," You smiled at her. Neteyam put his hand up to wave at her.

"Yes. I see you have invited Neteyam." She sat behind you two, you turned slightly over to face her, as Neteyam followed. "Neteyam found me here, he is learning how to sew, sister." You showed her the bag of shells you collected. The bracelet you had been making was moved under your leg.

"Oh these are wonderful. They are beautiful." Tsireya looked through the bag, she had always found it so sweet that you took the time to collect the prettiest objects for them to use.

Neteyam smiled at Tsireya, then looked at you with an even bigger smile. His eyes were beautiful.

You thought so. You wondered how lucky he must be to have such piercing yellow eyes. His whole family was mesmerizing to look at. Very unique features.

"I hope I did not interrupt anything," Tsireya began, you trying to figure out what she even meant by that. What could've been interrupted? The rock was hers to share too. "But, we must return home. Neteyam especially. Your parents will be worried," She spoke gently, her smile warm.

"We will take you home," She offered. You agreeing and lifting yourself from your spot. Tsireya and Neteyam doing the same.

The three of you hopped off the rock, Neteyam went down first, holding his hand out to help you both. He didn't need to do that, but his gentlemanliness was greatly appreciated by Tsireya and you both.

Neteyam entered the marui, you and Tsireya stood by the entrance, waving him off as he entered.

"We have brought Neteyam home. I hope you weren't worried," Tsireya explained to the family. Lo'ak and Kiri eyed Neteyam as he walked in and sat by them.

Tuk jumped up from her seat, excitedly leaping to Neteyam. "Hi!"

Neytiri had looked at you and Tsireya, her face displaying slight confusion. Jake on the other hand, looked between you, your sister and Neteyam. He took a deep breath, "Thank you." He simply spoke. He seemed a bit irritated, you assumed they were just tired and needed to rest.

Tsireya said her goodnights, you would do the same and wave off the family. Tsireya especially looking at Lo'ak.

"Is he special to you, sister?" You asked Tsireya, as you walked to your own marui.

"What do you mean?"

"Lo'ak, I mean. Is he special to you?" You repeated.

"They are all special, Y/N." She replied; her hand coming up to her mouth while she smiled cheekily.

"You avoid my question, sister." You continue to look straight ahead.

As you two entered the marui, the bracelet you had hid under your leg was now loosely wrapped around your upper arm. Tsireya noticed it, but didn't question anything.

"My daughters," Tonowari smiled as you two finally returned home.

"Father, Mother, I have gathered items to craft with." You placed the bag in front of your parents. Your sister sat down next to it, "She has brought beautiful treasures mother."

You could only smile, your mother nodded in approval as you began to show off the shells, slipping them out of the bag. Ao'nung squeezed himself in, making you and Tsireya topple over a bit. "Brother." You spoke. If he was going to be bothersome, you may as well give him some sort of use. You placed the bag on his lap for him to hold while you pulled out more shells.

Your night was peaceful, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Your family was appreciative of your findings, your parents mostly. You and your siblings had gathered together in another spot of the marui to talk and in the process make each other upset.

You wondered if Neteyam and his family were doing well. Their first night in a new village must be scary. You just hoped they'd sleep well.

"Do you have any reason to be out late with the olo'eyktan's daughters?" Jake questioned his eldest son. The room went silent, he shook his head. "I stayed back for extra training," He replied. He wasn't necessarily lying, was he?

"That's great. That's fine," His father replied sitting in front of him. "If you're going to do that, you take your brother and sisters with you too. Sullys stick together."

Neteyam exhaled, his head turning up again to face his father. He nodded. "Yes sir."

"Mm." Jake grunted. Neytiri blinked her eyes at Neteyam, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You will progress together."