Judgement Ch. 1

razarye_

Osamu Dazai woke up in his shabby apartment in his dire futon with excruciating pain. His body begged for a release. He had just woken up but already longed to fall back into the depths of the mind. Even if that is just as torturous.

Despite his mind constantly fighting, Dazai much preferred fight a battle he had the possibility of winning instead of perservering with a broken body that has no hope of ever being fixed.

The hopes of that ever happening was shattered years ago when he had a consultation with a certain underground doctor that was addicted to power and control.

The brunet winced when he attempted to move his arm.

At least he could today.

That meant he had to go to work, even if he was late.

***

When other people are diagnosed with Chronic pain, they don't all deal with it by ignoring the illness and carrying on with life as if it didn't affect them at all. The pain is usually too much to bare for many. They get physio therapy, specific painkillers or some other remedy. In Dazai's case, Mori simply declared to the teenager;

"Will you be lessening your workload?"

Dazai immediately returned the question with a no. It was quick. Hesitation? None.
The brunet knew that the punishment would be far worse if he asked for the alternative.
Over time, because he seemed unaffected on the surface, Mori increased his workload. His response was,

"Animals by nature continue their purpose throughout their struggles Dazai, Humans fail by nature instead."

He understood what that meant for The Demon Prodigy

He wasn't allowed to fail.

He was the most merciless member, and what? He caves under a little pain.

You must be joking.

So Dazai continued on.

As expected it only got worse with the gun shots, stab wounds, torture training and other fun Mafia activities so it didn't come as a surprise to Mori when there were consecutive days where Dazai didn't come in.

It wasn't common for adults, let alone teenagers and individuals as young as Dazai having such a disorder. But then again, Dazai wasn't common. He was uniquely gifted in all aspects; Intelligence, physique and mental health.

He was a walking miracle but also a violent curse.

When Dazai was underground, his movement was limited. This meant he wasn't required to do much physical movememt and his pain would've been most tolerable if not for the inconsistent flow of medication, when he started at the agency though, he was based mainly in the field. There were times he could get out of it and do office work (which on the rare occasion he actually did, much to the complete shock of his coworkers) but Dazai still pushed himself.

"DAZAI! YOU SUICIDAL MANIAC!! YOU'RE LATE"
As per usual Dazai received his daily beating granted by his lovely partner Kunikida. He didn't dare fight back because it would only make things worse.
"Ayyy Kunikida, leave him alone. I'm trying to focus here!"
Ranpo somehow always knew when a day was worse even though Dazai never ever ever told the detective about his illness. The brunet never even thinks about his condition.

Professionals would call that denial.

"Ah, apologies Ranpo"
Kunikida took a moment to straighten out his suit from that physical exertion and then proceeded to turn his head back to Dazai who was sitting against the agency door in an awful position plastering the fakest smile on his face as a very strained and barely functional mask.
"Get to work! We have a new case this afternoon and you need to finish that paperwork from a week ago! We can't have delays Dazai, I mean it. "
From the blondes voice the brunet could tell he couldn't blow off this mission.