Chapter 5: Explanations

"Alright, New York was it? I'll get straight to the point. Who exactly are you and where did you come from? Your prefix suggest that you come from Eagle Union but we haven't heard or seen you before." Enterprise said.

"This might sound a bit far-fetched but I'm from another world. In my world, ships didn't have human forms and the Sirens never attacked." New York explained.

"Another world? That does sound implausible but it would make sense... how did you get here then?"

New York sighed and leaned back into his chair.

"I was a battleship serving in the United States Navy, basically my worlds version of Eagle Union. After World War II, I was seen as too old and too outdated to continue military service and was selected to enter Operation Crossroads, a test to investigate the effect of nuclear weapons on warships, and was eventually sank as a target ship."

"You were sunk as a target ship?" Enterprise asked aghast, "By your own country?"

"Sadly, yes," New York sighed again, "I find it kind of hard to believe myself. After all my service in both world wars, I would have had a more honorable death but that was not the case."

The shipgirls went silent. The idea of being sunk by their own nation was an alien concept to them, it was hard to imagine how much pain New York must have went through.

"What did you mean by world war? And what were nuclear weapons?" Prince Of Wales asked.

"The world wars were just like their names suggest, a war that spanned the globe. They were some of the bloodiest conflicts in history, with 23 million deaths in WW1, and around 80 million in WW2. As for nuclear weapons... well, let's just say they are bombs that can level an entire city within seconds." New York replied solemnly.

The shipgirls were once again shocked into silence. Wars that killed tens of millions? Bombs that could destroy entire cities? What had New York been through?

"New York... I can't imagine how you must feel right now." Enterprise said, "If it's any help, you are always welcome in Azur Lane."

"Thank you for the offer. However, I'm not sure if I would be much help. It has been many years since I have been in actual combat." New York declined, shaking his head.

"Nonsense! You were able to fight Akagi and Kaga to a standstill, not a feat accomplishable by many."

New York paused, "I will think about your offer. It's getting a bit late now, so if there is nothing else you want to ask me, I'll be taking my leave." With that, he stood up and walked out the door.

The journey back to the docks was a short and uneventful. There were no sounds other than the occasional sound of creaking of boards as New York strode across the pier.

He climbed up onto his ship and went down below deck only to find it pitch black.

'Lights on.' New York thought.

The lights flickered for a while before turning on, revealing a hallway of rooms. New York walked to the end of the hall and went into the room with a plaque that read Capt.

New York flopped down on a bed and layed there in thought.

'What should I do... I've already been betrayed once, should I risk being betrayed again? Am I ready to move on?"

New York eventually fell asleep and his ship became dark once again.

From the shadows, a figure appeared, staring silently at New York's ship. The figure suddenly turned away, moving silently back into the shadows.

"New York... is that really you?"