Chapter 7: Dinner Conversation

Bowsette suddenly felt ravenous and decided a meal was in order. Whatever else had changed she was still the Koopa Kingdom's monarch and thus was still waited on hand and foot. Kamek took comfort in her appetite as she ordered enough food to burst his own stomach if he were to try to eat it. That at least hadn't changed, but he was sitting across from a woman who was somehow both a complete stranger and eerily familiar in so many ways.

For one difference, his Queen's elegance was all but gone. That was replaced with a gruff rudeness that the woman Kamek was familiar with rarely had, except maybe after a particularly brutal defeat. Somehow, she had always managed to eat mountains and fight intense battles without a wrinkle on her dress or ruffling a hair, but this woman seemed to not care about her appearance in the least. The second it arrived Bowsette ripped into a massive leg of meat without ceremony or care, letting sauce and bits of meat get all over the table and her clothes.

Looking away, Kamek realized that his Highness was in the same boat, and it was entirely... well, maybe mostly his fault. As familiar as she was towards him, Kamek knew that he was just as much of a stranger to her as she was to him. He couldn't even be entirely sure about the circumstances that led to the modification of the Super Crown in the first place. Bowsette had refused to talk about what had happened at the Moon Kingdom and Kamek had been too busy to read the reports, but it was clear she had been defeated yet again.

"So Kamek..." Bowsette finally spoke up as she finished the meat and grabbed another. She chewed with her mouth open as she talked in a disgusting display that made Kamek cringe a bit. "Now that the world has changed, I guess you'll have to tell me how things work around here." She spoke. "Um... ask away my Lady." Kamek replied.

"First, do I still kidnap Princess Peach?" She asked. Kamek smiled and nodded. "Many many times, though those Mario Brothers constantly get in the way." Bowsette huffed, emitting a plume of smoke from her mouth. "I see... and why?" She considered. 'I had always kidnapped the woman because I was in love with her. Was Bowsette going in the same direction?' She wondered.

Kamek froze at the question and thought for a moment. "Um... Mistress... I'm not entirely sure." Kamek admitted. "The first few times you would try to get Peach to sign away dominion of the Mushroom Kingdom, but it wasn't long before you gave up on that idea I believe." Kamek felt hesitant to voice his own theory, so he kept it under wraps. "All I know for sure is that later, you would kidnap Peach and just hold her prisoner. You never showed any particular care for how she felt or demanded anything from her. In fact, to my knowledge you rarely ever spoke to her." Kamek noticed a look in Bowsette's eye and backtracked. "N-not that you were cruel or that Peach didn't have every comfort my Queen, but you seemed to want her there for no readily apparent reason I could decern."

Bowsette shifted in her seat and thought about this. "So, I'm still kidnapping her and I'm still trying to take over her kingdom. Good to know." Bowsette grinned. "My ambitions haven't changed." She remarked resolutely. Bowsette's mind clung to that sense of familiarity, despite his or her recent thoughts on their failures, it was a life raft connecting Bowsette to Bowser, if only slightly.

Bowsette slammed her fist to the table. "Well then Kamek, no more playing around!" Taking only a moment to rip off the last of the meat from the bone she stood up with this fire in her eyes and strode out of the room. Kamek as always wasn't too far behind, another constant to hold onto. Bowser was starting to feel more like him/herself again, despite the differences.

Kamek felt guilty for... well, not exactly lying, but omitting the entire truth. Kamek had noticed her behavior during these kidnappings and invasions and despite the value of the prize Bowsette didn't seem to care at all about Peach. When she would kidnap Peach Bowsette worked on her appearance more than usual and she usually wore her favorite Piranha Plant Perfume. His Queen tried her best to put up the best obstacles she could to stop the Mario Brothers, and she always cackled maniacally when she heard reports of trouble they were having. However, Kamek could tell she wasn't entirely sincere in her glee.

Despite trying her best to make things difficult for them, the longer the Mario Brothers took to save the princess the more anxious his Mistress seemed to become. It always confused Kamek, but it was almost like she wanted them to get to her. Kamek himself rarely actually saw the battles, having likely been taken out by the brothers prior and too busy tending to his wounds. When he did manage it, however, he saw when the two arrived Bowsette never showed them any mercy or hesitation. The three always fought with no quarter asked or given, the longer and fiercer the battle the wider his Queen seemed to smile.

"KAMEK! Are you listening to me?!" Bowsette's loud roar jarred him out of his thoughts. "Um... Pardon me your highness!" Kamek stood at attention. "I've been thinking about your situation." Kamek tried to cover. "I could attempt to reverse the..." Bowsette waved dismissively. "Bah! Forget about it! I'll make do." The Koopa Queen made their way towards the west wing as quickly as she could manage with her heels.

"I said, get me every report of the kidnappings of the princess and invasions." Kamek's eyes widened. "That's quite a lot Mis..." Bowsette interrupted "ALL of them!" Bowsette snapped. This wasn't a good day for her, and she wanted to get back on track. 'First things first though, I've got to... ugh... do some reading.' Bowsette groaned in her own mind. "I need to know that all I've done, all I've tried is in line with what I know. Get me the Moon Kingdom report too! It should be finished by the chronicler by now." Kamek nodded. "I'll get the men on it immediately my Queen."