Chapter 1 ~A New Life~

A long time ago after the events of The Minish Cap, Princess Zelda and Link had become good friends with Vaati. Link knew that Zelda had grown feelings for Vaati. Link had loved Zelda for years, but he knew she did not feel the same way. Each day, Zelda would go to the Minish Woods around the same time after Vaati would be finished studying and she would always find him patiently waiting for her. On this day, Zelda had decided to stop by Master Smith's house who was Link's grandfather before heading into the woods. Link pretended he had lots of work to do, but he was actually jealous of Zelda's relationship with Vaati and didn't want to see him. Zelda, although sad, understood how busy he could be, helping his grandfather with his smithing. Saying goodbye, Zelda continued to make her way toward the woods. When Zelda reached the woods, she headed toward their usual meeting spot, a small, lone tree stump in the middle of a small field of wildflowers. She was surprised to see that Vaati was not there. "Maybe he's still studying? I'm sure he'll be here soon," she thought and sat down next to the stump. But, unbeknownst to her Vaati was indeed there, but he was sitting behind a tree not too far from where she was. Zelda began to pick the flowers, plucking the petals and tossing them into the cool breeze. Zelda suddenly heard some rustling coming from behind the tree not knowing Vaati was sitting behind it. She slowly stood and took a step toward the tree only to see a quick blur of purple crash into the ground. Zelda was shocked to see it was Vaati, although not how she had seen him recently. You see, Vaati was a Minish, a small, magical creature that lived alongside the Hylians. But only those pure of heart could see them, which is normally only children. The Vaati she saw before her was the one she had seen years earlier, not a Minish but a young man. Even sitting he was definitely taller than the last time she had seen him like this. "Hey Zelda," Vaati chuckled, an embarrassed look plastered on his face as he pulled himself to his feet. "Hi... Vaati?" Zelda managed to reply with a shocked and curious look. Zelda had many questions and Vaati was more than happy to answer them. But there was only a single question she most wanted an answer to. "How are you... Hylian?" Zelda asked, as the two sat down next to the small stump. Zelda had noticed Vaati was not wearing the Minish Cap which was what had originally allowed him to appear as one. "Ezlo," Vaati replied with a small smile. "Really! Ezlo?" Zelda's eyes grew wide, shining with curiosity. Vaati explained to her in his best Ezlo impersonation, "Vaati, I've been watching over you as you'd play. It breaks my heart to see you so sad when Zelda leaves." Listening to Vaati's impression, Zelda couldn't help but break out in laughter. "I thought you'd think that was funny," Vaati chuckled, staring at Zelda's delicate face, causing her to blush. Vaati quickly turned away, looking to the sky, feeling a warm blush cross his own. Luckily his long, lavender bangs covered his face and he hoped she didn't notice. Still looking up, Vaati continued in his normal tone, "Anyways, he asked what I wanted most in the world, and I told him I wanted to be with my friends. Next thing I knew he asked me if it was a possibility, if would I give up living with the Picori? I was sad to think about leaving my home, and I didn't even think he was being serious. But I still said yes." Vaati sighed, looking down, brushing his hand against the flowers. "Then this morning, I was in the library, Ezlo came in holding the Minish Cap. I wasn't quite sure what he was doing. But he just grabbed my hand and brought me out to the forest. I was extremely uncomfortable being so close to the source of power that I used to cause all that destruction. Ezlo noticed and told me he had sealed the power of the Minish Cap. But he was sure I was strong enough now to control it and asked me to put it on. I admit I was very nervous to wear it again, but I trusted him and put it on. He started to cast a spell on it and the cap exploded. I think?" Vaati curled his brows in confusion before continuing again. "Well, there was a soft popping sound and the cap disappeared into a ball of light. He told me the power from the cap had been infused within me. It would take a few minutes to fully take effect, so I sat under that tree and waited. I kinda fell asleep, so I'm not quite sure how long I was sitting there. But I woke up when I heard footsteps, I peeked around the tree and saw you. Then I tripped trying to stand up," Vaati laughed. "Wow," Zelda was at a loss for words when she learned he gave up his old life just so he could be with them. Five years later, Vaati was happily living in Hyrule. Link had invited him to stay with him and his grandfather, as he had finally gotten over his jealousy after seeing how much happier Zelda was. But they wouldn't know of a darkness that had been growing around them.