Chapter 1: Powers From the Past

Once again, I do not own the plot line for the chapter. It belongs to @bunkeyice

Y/n's POV
"Hey, Y/n, where is that volcanic cave again?" Chase asked from the museum communications link as I was walking towards the Dino Bite Cafe. "Sampson Cave. A visitor is asking."

"About 15 miles off of the city," I replied. "It's where we found the T-Rex fossil. And don't forget to meet me at the cafe."

Once I walked into the cafe, I told Shelby, the waitress, my order. Shelby and I talked quite often. She seemed so interested in dinosaurs and even wanted in on digs a lot, but after the incident of finding my energem a few months back, Kendall decided that Chase, Koda, and I shouldn't take anybody else on digs to look for the remaining energems. We don't want to risk any innocent civilians getting hurt. Anyways, I sat patiently in the Dino Bite Cafe as I was waiting for Chase. That was only because he agreed to let me drive the truck to our next digging site if I bought him some food. After a few minutes of me waiting for him to show up, Chase finally walked into the cafe and walked over to me.

"I see you bought me some food," Chase said as he sat down.

"You better hold up your promise about letting me drive the truck," I threatened, just incase he decided to back out at the last minute. "Or else your skateboard will get it."

After hearing my very serious threat about destroying his skateboard, Chase passed me the keys to the truck, holding up his end of the deal. I grinned then noticed Chase was watching Shelby.

"She keeps glancing over here," Chase stated. Then he got that cocky smirk on his face, causing me to roll my eyes. "Maybe she finally wants to go on a date."

"Don't count on it, Chase," I countered. Then I got up from my chair. "Come on, Chase. Kendall wants us to leave soon to check out the triceratops fossil."

After Chase finished his food, we walked out of the cafe with Chase putting his headphones on and me putting my earbuds in (although I kept one earbud out so I could still be aware of everything going on around me). Chase pushed a cart full of digging equipment with me walking next to him, spinning the keys around my finger.

"Chase, Y/n!" I heard Shelby shout. "Wait up!"

After hearing Shelby shouting at us, I stopped walking and grabbed Chase's arm in order to get his attention. After seeing that I had his attention, I tilted my head towards Shelby, letting him know about her approaching us. Chase stopped walking as well and took off his headphones. Then I took out the remaining earbud and laid them around the back of my neck.

"Hey, Sheri," Chase greeted her. Then he noticed the brown paper bag in her hand. "Are you bringing me a present?"

(Author's Note: *me, Chase, and Sun from RWBY hanging out* Chase: Hey, Sheri. Are you bringing me a present? Me: *smacks him upside the head as hard as a 5ft person can* Leave her alone, playboy! Sun: *puts a hand on Chase's shoulder* Ignore him, for he...yeah, he's dumb. Also me: XD Sorry! I had to! RWBY fans will understand. XD)

"It's Shelby," Shelby countered, correcting Chase. I gave her a smile. Then Shelby looked over the equipment that we had on the cart. "So, Chase, Y/n. Going fossil hunting?"

I nodded as an answer to her question.

"Yep," I replied. "It's supposed to be a great find, too."

That's when I saw Shelby pick up the tablet that was on the cart, showing a picture of the triceratops fossil that we were checking out in hopes of finding the pink energem.

"The triceratops!" Shelby cheered. "You're both digging up my favorite dinosaur. See? It's right here."

Then she motioned to her Dino Bite Cafe name tag that had her name and a triceratops silhouette printed on it.

"Let's cut to the chase and go catch a movie," Chase said, causing me to roll my eyes at the pick-up line.

"Does that line work on New Zealand girls?" Shelby asked, clearly shutting him down.

"Nope," Chase countered, continuing to push the cart as I walked beside him. "Doesn't work on them either."

"Instead of a movie, why don't you take me on the dig?" Shelby asked Chase, following us to the loading dock where Koda was lifting up boxes and loading them into the truck.

"Sorry, no can do," Chase replied. "Museum policy."

"Sorry, Shelby," I apologized to her and ran to catch up with Chase.

I glanced back over my shoulder to see Shelby approach Koda with the brown paper bag. I smiled when I saw Koda grab the bag and eat the bronto burger that Shebly brought for him. Shelby sighed and sat down on a big crate. Then Koda picked up the crate that Shelby was sitting on with ease and loaded it up onto the truck. That's when Kendall walked out so I helped her with the things she gave me to load up on the truck.

"I think your party in booth four is missing a dinner roll," Kendall told Shelby. Then she stopped Shelby from asking the same question that she asked me and Chase. "And no, you can't come. Museum policy."

"Triceratops head grow up to be seven feet long," Shelby stated, starting to rattle off facts about the triceratops. "Only two horns were really bone. One was just a ligament. Give me a shot, Ms. Morgan. Please? I know as much about dinosaurs as anyone on your crew."

Then Shelby started motioning to me, Chase, and Koda. When Kendall looked over at the boys, Chase was balancing his skateboard on his head while Koda was licking his fingers.

"For your information, Chase and Koda are highly trained museum personnel," Kendall stated, but was soon cut off by Shelby.

"Well, they hide it pretty well," Shelby countered, glancing at the boys.

"Besides, Y/n knows a lot more about dinosaurs than you can imagine," Kendall finished, causing me to smile at her compliment.

"We should be leaving now," I said, causing Kendall to nod and shoo Shelby away.

Then I climbed into the driver's seat of the truck, waiting for Chase and Koda to get in.