Big News

I woke up to the smell of fish. Morning Flower was cooking fish over the fire outside. I sat up on the floor. It was so great to not wake up in the Prisoner's Cage. "Hungry?" Morning Flower said as I jumped. "Here is some fish, I cooked for breakfast," she finished. I took some fish. Morning Flower motioned me to the center of the tipi. There we gave thanks for our meal, and ate. I sat there enjoying every bite. I felt so glad not to be forced to eat fast.

After we finished our meal, Morning Flower took me outside to her garden. She had some seeds with her. She told me that they were sunflower seeds. She also showed me how to plant them. After I planted some sunflower seeds, I walked around the garden, examining all the vegetables that had sprouted. There were stalks of corn that had little, tiny, cobs of corn. There were also tomatoes, green beans, and butter beans. Believe it or not, I have never gardened before. In my tribe, girls didn't garden. The girls went out with the men and boys to hunt. Only the old folk gardened.

Morning Flower told me that I could go where ever I wanted. She wanted me to find some girls to be friends with. So I walked around the camp. Unfortunately none of the girls wanted to be around me. There was this one girl though, who wanted to play with me but her mother said no. I didn't get to ask her her name, but I told her mine. She was a girl who was almost the same size as me, but she was a little taller. She had darker skin than I did, and black hair that went down to the back of her knees.

I walked back to the tipi at sun high , and told Morning Flower about my day. "Don't worry. Those girls will soon become your friends. Trust me," Morning Flower said with a smile. "Besides...we are having a ceremony, and you're the guest," Morning Flower finished. I was really happy. The tribe is having a ceremony for me, and I'm the main person!! "When is the ceremony?" I asked Morning Flower. "The ceremony is tomorrow at sun down," she said.

For the rest of the day I walked around the camp with a smile on my face. Most people looked at me in confusion, but I just smiled back at them. Again none of the girls wanted to play with me except that one girl, but that was okay.