Chapter Twelve - The Painful Goodbye

Tanjiro's pov

I held Muichiro in my arms, running my fingers through his now short hair, waiting for him to wake up. "How stupid of him was this.. and I thought that after cutting his own flesh he wouldn't surprise me with anything worse" Genya said.

I didn't answer, I just kept on looking down at Muichiro, getting angry at Genya for only thinking of this as the worst thing Muichiro has done.

"He changed a lot, he wasn't this stubborn b-"

"Okay I have enough of this, why do you only see the worst in him?!"

"What are you talking about?"

"You do this all the time, he went out of the shelter to find us because he was worried and scared. Who knows what he saw outside and for how long he was without food or water! He could have gone back to the shelter any time but no, he kept on looking for us even though he was feeling sick!"

I yelled out, making Genya speechless.

"If you want to call yourself a good boyfriend then act like it"

Genya didn't answer, he just signed and left for the other room.

A while later Muichiro began to wake up. He slowly opened his eyes, immediately meeting mine due to him laying on my lap. "Thank god you're awake, I was worried" I said.

His eyes filled up with tears as he hugged me immediately. I returned the hug "there there, it's okay now" I said while rubbing his back.

"I've been looking for you everywhere! I-I was starting to lose hope! I-I.." he started crying quietly. "Shh, it's okay Mui… it's okay now" I grabbed a bottle with water.

"Here, drink some, you need to be thirsty" I said and handed him the bottle. He nodded "thank you.." he drank from the bottle quickly, drinking almost half of it.

"When was the last time you ate? Are you hungry?" I asked. "Couple days ago.. I am starving" he laughed slightly and looked away shyly.

"Here" I said and handed Muichiro some bread. He grabbed it into his hands and started eating it quickly.

"Where's Gen?" He asked. I looked down sadly "well.. he's in the next room… he's mad at you for running out of the shelter" I said quietly.

He looked down, clearly upset "why is he like this… he always sees the worst in me.."

"That's what I said to him.. he didn't answer"

"... I guess I did something stupid but… I thought he would be happy to see me and that… and that he would be maybe proud that I survived outside for so long alone… but no… he just gets mad"

"Hey, it'll be fine, he'll understand sooner o-"

"No he won't! He said that last time and he doesn't understand anything!"

"We should start moving, Muichiro can you walk?" Sanemi asked. Muichiro looked at his leg and slightly nodded "I think so" he said and tried to stand up but it was clear he struggled to keep himself up.