Where the Ocean Meets the land

"I will love you as the sea loves; in gentle waves and ferocious storms

in gentle waves and ferocious storms."
– anonymous

I watch as he walks in front of me, the sun on his face, the water and sand clinging to his tattooed skin. His hair is messy and free, and he is beautiful and thoughtful. With a smile that lights up my world, he listens to the waves crash against the shore. I watch his toes, dig into the warm sand, moving into its warmth. He moves slowly along the shore and I am unwilling to interrupt his thoughts.

He had never seen the ocean before, never smelled the salty air, never tasted it on his lips. He smiled and turned around to look at me with an expression that I was not familiar with. It was a wonderful expression filled with awe and absolute joy.

"Thank you for bringing me here, Love. I have never seen something as beautiful."

"I love the ocean, it speaks to my spirit. I am glad you like it too," I say tracing his cheek with the back of my hand as his arms wrap around my waist. I look at him as though he is a work of art, Michelangelo's David, but he is more than that to me. He holds my heart in his.

"I was speaking of you..." he says with a husky voice, almost a whisper, "...with the wind in your hair and the way the ocean air has tied it in knots, the way that your cheeks take on this rosy blush, the smell of coconut that fills the air around you, and the salt brushing against your lips... the beach is breathtaking, but it doesn't come close to the beauty that you possess."

He runs his fingers along my chin and lifts my face to meet his. "I have been wondering many things this day. Wondering when we will visit the beach again, wondering how I will ask you to be mine for a lifetime, wondering what we will talk about when we are twenty years older, but I have also been wondering about something in the present." His hands have returned to my hips and he holds me there.

I am out of breath, awed by his words and his love. "What have you been wondering about the present?" My eyes are beaming with my love for him.

He runs a finger across my lips and leans closer. "I wonder what you taste like in this salty air, I wonder what kisses will feel like against salty skin, I wonder how much you will let me explore in the rhythm of the waves."

He moves his hands from my face, down my bare back, and leaves his hand at my waist pulling me in close. As he drops my body slowly to the sand, his lips crash against mine as the surf crashes to the shore.