After Life

They say in death, you remember nothing, that it all just ends. They say that as the breath leaves your lungs, all of who you were, the love, the spirit, the aura, they all just fade away. As I took my last breath, I still loved her as much as I did the day that I first held her in my arms. And now as I lay buried, I love her still. It should be a terrible thing to be buried in this ground, with nowhere to move and nothing to do for who knows how many decades, how many eons. But I have something. Hope.

It is weird to have hope in a place like this, but I feel her love for me when she visits me. It transfers through the soil and meets my spirit. I know that she loves me still. I can still feel her love as my flesh rots and my bones decay. My spirit has not forgotten her beautiful smile when she told me she loved me or the way I felt about her mirrored in her eyes when we made love. I have not forgotten our special moments or the elation that I felt when she said that she would be my bride.

I don't know if it is this way for all loves, or if it is peculiar to our passion for each other, but I know that my soul is waiting to meet hers. I know the cold hands of death will hold me down until we are joined. I hope that we will be together again.

Sometimes it is a comfort to think of her this way, like a warm blanket offering peace and rest, other times it s sheer torture missing the feel of her and not knowing if we will ever happen upon those moments again.

I have to believe I am destined to wait for her here not relegated to this eternity of missing her, and while I don't know what will happen when we have united again, I know that to two of us together is the closest thing to what I can call heaven.

So, I will wait with hope and a dream of eternity with her spirit by my side.