Two

The next morning, when the sun had risen, Anoung, Tsireya, Roxto and I made out way to the Sully mauri. Today, they would take their first baby steps toward the Metkayina ways. My cousins dived in, followed by the Sully boys, who entered the water with slightly less grace.

Chuckling, I smiled at Kiri and her sister, encouraging them to follow their brothers. With a squeal, they were gone. Diving in and swimming toward Tsireya, I watched the Omatikaya children marvel at the many wonders I had grown up amongst.

Tsireya, a happy smiled painting her beautiful features, signed to them, although it quickly became clear they did know the language. The children, barely twenty seconds into their first dive, had already broken the surface for breath.

'What is wrong with them?' Anoung signed to us.

'They are bad at diving.' Roxto responded, rolling his eyes.

Tsireya let out a bubble of annoyance. 'Stop it.'

'They are not like us.' I signed to them, Tonowari's words ringing in my ears. 'They are learning.'

Together, we swam upwards, breaking the surface.

"Are you alright?" Tsireya asked politely.

"You're too fast," the little girl complained, "Wait for us!"

"Do not push yourself, you will learn to dive in time. For now, just breathe." I told them, taking a breath to demonstrate. "Breathe."

Anoung broke the surface, returning from where ever he had been sulking. "You are not good divers. Maybe good at swimming through trees, but-"

I cut him off, pushing his head below the water. "Fnu (Quiet)."

"We don't speak this... finger talk." The younger boy explained. "We don't know what you're saying."

"Stela and I will teach you." Tsireya replied calmly.

The oldest son's eyes burned into me again. I really need to learn his name. Learn all of their names.

"Where is Kiri?" The little girl asked.

Everyone began looking around the surface.

"Wait here." I told them, before taking a breath and disappearing. Not far from, us Kiri was revelling in the beauty of the ocean and it's inhabitants. It did not appear that Kiri needed our help with diving. Grinning slightly, I rose again. "Kiri is alright. She seems to be getting the hang of diving very quickly."

Eventually, we made our way to the shallows. I approached the oldest child, who had the little girl wrapped in his arms.

"Ngaytxoa (sorry), but it has occurred to me that I do not know your names." I told him.

He smiled, and I nearly passed out on the spot. He had a beautiful smile, one that crinkled at the corners and under his eyes.

"My name is Neteyam. This is Tuktirey." He gestured to the girl on his hip.

"Everyone calls me Tuk." She grinned.

"My brother over there is Lo'ak. And you are already acquainted with Kiri."

"Well, kaltxì (hello) Tuk, and kaltxì Neteyam. I am-"

"Stela." Neteyam cut in, his smile growing slightly.

The corners of my own lips lifted. "It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Manga, na'rìng prrnens (hey, forest babies)." Anoung called, grabbing your attention. Surrounding him were sea creatures, flapping their fins and swirling in the water. "These are Ilu. If you want to live here, you have to ride."