ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙

"Ms. Lowell I'm so sorry for your loss".

The girl sent a polite smile to the man who approached her. She did her best to keep the annoyance she felt at his appearance hidden, but the continuous swarm of people bothering her was getting overwhelming.

"Thank you for your condolences" the girl replied.

The man decided he had expressed all the politeness needed and proceeded to try to discreetly size the girl up but his attempts were obvious and expected. A sickening grin adorned his face.

"Even in solum clothing, you look absolutely stunning Ms. Lowell" the man complimented.

The girl felt her control loosening a little at his words. To actually believe that this man thinks he can show such blatant disrespect at her parents' funeral. He believed his handsome enough for her to dismiss his behavior. Even worse he wasn't the first to try.

"Excuse me Mr. Johnson but I am quite tired after tonight's ordeals I hope you don't mind if I take an early leave."

The girl's patience was running thin but she managed to mutter her excuse to leave.

The man, having to still keep face while among other high-ranking families, was forced to acknowledge her request.

"Of course Ms. Lowell" he forced out with a smile.

The girl spent no time lingering around and made her way to the exit. The butler waiting for her arrival draped a jacket over her shoulders before leading her to the car.

Once inside she finally exhaled the breath she didn't realise she was holding. Her body relaxed into the car seat and she had taken her heels off for comfort. However, in contrast to her appearance her mind was racing.

A few months ago her parents and herself had gotten into a terrible car accident. It was a car versus truck scenario on a small highway south of Boston. Her mum and the driver had died immediately upon impact and her dad had later been declared brain dead. Only the girl herself had lived after a successful operation.

In high society fashion, the truck driver had been sentenced to a lifetime in jail and suitors were constantly bothering the young Lowell for her inheritance.

She was so tired. There was no consideration for her feelings, for the trauma she had been through and despite having hated her parents, the incident had left her with her own scars.

"Ms we have arrived". The voice of her attendant snapped the girl out of her thoughts. He opened the car door for her and held out his hand to help her out.

"Thank you, James" the girl spoke up. The attendant felt a little emotional at the girl's genuine thank you. He had seen the young Ms grow up and had acted more like a parent to her than her actual parents.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" he asked. The girl glanced up at him with glazed eyes.

"I'm sure James I don't want to live this life". The attendant wanted to push but the determination in the girl's voice stopped him. He smiled, both sad and proud of the young girl in front of him.

"I'm only one call away" he muttered through the smile.

The girl stood before him with emotions swelling through her, unapparent from an outside perspective. She suddenly went in for the hug wrapping her arms around the older man. James was surprised at the sudden contact but soon melted into the embrace wrapping his own arms around the smaller girl.

The two separated and through a silent understanding left each other to face a new era in their lives.

*