47. Pile of Dogs

Yunho brimmed with excitement to go visit his parents. He rambled about them all morning while the pair got ready and had breakfast with the king. According to Yunho, his father was the most hard-working human in the entire realm and his mother loved more than anyone else (though he assured Seonghwa he was a close second.) In Yunho himself, naturally so, bundled the combination of both.

The king found his tales most amusing. Though he offered Seonghwa to return after their visit and spend his time in the palace, Seonghwa insisted on not holding the king up for longer than necessary. Truthfully, he was as glad to flee the stifling pretence of political relationships as Yunho wished to see his family. Thus, the day after arrival, they already bid their goodbyes to King Albrecht. He wished them an enjoyable journey and invited Seonghwa to come by his palace anytime he wished.

Buddy dashed between their legs, delighted to get out of the restrictive walls. When Yunho cooed at him about where they would go, the dog looked confused but ignited by Yunho's enthusiasm.

Side by side, the two rode through the bustling city. During the day, many people did their daily business there. The streets bustled with life, but all of it came to a standstill when the rare unicorn carrying an even rarer elf passed through. Everyone turned their heads, distracted from what they had been doing to ogle the peculiar sight. Some bowed to Seonghwa, some stared with apprehension.

The spectacle trailed some onlookers along with them. Young children begged their mothers to 'touch the pretty pony' and several men appealed their opinions on the empire to Seonghwa.

Since they had neither time nor capacity to launch a public hearing in the streets of the town, Seonghwa waved at them with polite smiles, moving on with the promise to attend them at a later time.

"You mustn't ask my mother about my experience with love before you. She will pry into our relationship more than enough."

"You telling me this surges my interest. Is this a story you should share with me before we arrive at your home?" Seonghwa retorted, mirthful with Yunho's secrecy. He spent enough time with Hongjoong and Wooyoung to recognise when he struck gold.

"Not at all, hence I tell you. The story will bore you to death and our time is already so limited."

Yunho was a good liar. His voice stayed blank with his face, assuring Seonghwa he meant it.

Amused rather than insulted, Seonghwa masked his curiosity.

"So, which are your experiences with love? You seemed so dear to me; I am bound to believe there is at least one anecdote that made you so," he asked in nonchalance, pretending they could treat it as a casual topic now.

"I'm not listening to you, just so you know." Yunho demonstrated by guiding his horse to the other side of the road. His eyes were directed at the fields, picking the one he sought among the many farmer houses dotting the hills.

"You leave me with no other choice but to ask your mother." Seonghwa's regretful voice had Yunho's head snapping around.

"No, I-!"

"Guide us home, hm, Buddy? I can't wait to meet your family." Seonghwa said down the neck of his unicorn. With an ecstatic yap, Buddy ran a circle around him before he took off down the hills. Seonghwa nudged his heels into his mount's flanks, following the dog while Yunho yelled in indignation.

Buddy was the fastest at finding his way home. The gentle beige of his fur chased over the glowing wheat and rye fields. Behind him came Seonghwa, a shooting star across the cradle of nature. Yunho followed begrudgingly, though gleeful to see Seonghwa race towards his home without abandon.