56. A New Glow

Seonghwa found his place by his mother's side at one of the numerous small tables that dotted the dining hall instead of a big one. It was more convenient for the groups of people and though everyone shared the space; the races liked to stay among themselves. Glad no further fights broke out, Seonghwa exhaled as he dropped by his mother's side. With a chuckle, she helped him disentangle the chains spilling over his chest.

"You are doing marvellous, my star." Her fingers traced over his cheek, soothing his frown. When they found back in her lap, Seonghwa picked up his chalice.

"I had hoped he wouldn't come, but I had to invite him. Hopefully, father won't be too irritated." Seonghwa glanced the way the two had disappeared to. He spotted his father already on the way back, greeting those who halted to bow before him and congratulate him.

"Nonsense. Everyone knows how belligerent their kin is, the king most of all. Though I am repelled to hear how he talks about you, it's by far not the first time."

Their history as foes was too recent to be buried. As in the works with the orcs, it would take a long while to find peace and educate the brutes.

Seonghwa's father returned to their table and grabbed for his wine. Seonghwa ducked his head.

"Excuse this disgraceful display, father. And thank you for intervening."

The emperor waved a sluggish hand. He donned veils of gold and amber, shining like a star in their midst.

"I can never bear that fellow's opinions for long. You deal with him well. The peace in your heart honours you."

"Thank you," Seonghwa said with another bow.

They dropped the topic and talked about his travels instead. Seonghwa told them about meeting the rulers of each kingdom and how different they had been. His father was concerned about the eldest of the dryads and promised to send a letter soon so they would contact him. Since the treaty got signed, however, they must be fine. If their reparations required help, the Crystal Sphere would heed their call.

Though their conference was political, Seonghwa eased during the time he spent with his parents. Music and food accompanied them with a joyous atmosphere and Seonghwa revelled in the praise he received for his good manners.

They probably would have mulled over the profound history of diplomacy through marriage all night if Seonghwa's husbands didn't find him. Yeosang was the only one who dared to approach the royal family in their corner, and he came to stand next to Seonghwa with a skip in his step, acting as a spokesperson for the rest.

"Mother, father," he grinned at the royal couple before he seized Seonghwa's hand. "The dancing has started! Won't you dance with us, Hwa? San has been glancing at you longingly for an hour, but he didn't want to interrupt."

When Seonghwa craned his neck to find the seraph, he spotted the scarlet of his uniform before his shining wings in the doorway. He watched, apprehensive about sending Yeosang ahead. The dryad was ever so nonchalant.

With a grin, Seonghwa looked at his parents.

"Go dance with them. Have fun. We can talk later."

"You are always welcome to bless us with your dances as well," Seonghwa offered as he slipped from his chair. Then he waved at them before he let Yeosang tug him away.

San's face brightened when they drew nearer. On his way through the door, Seonghwa linked their arms. The bright smile on his face was genuine and undeterred by his courtly restrictions, and it made the people around them whisper in awe about the glowing prince.

"I hope you settled on an order because if you fight over me in front of my guests, no one gets a dance," Seonghwa pretended to threaten them as they made their way into the ballroom. Yeosang gladly parted from his side.