II. dinner and bonfire parties

season 1, episode 1 pt

season 1, episode 1 pt.2

TW: this chapter contains a traumatic memory dealing with drugs, alcohol, and abuse. If you are uncomfortable with these topics skip in between the ~.

Steven and Jeremiah were sitting at the table laughing at something that was on Stevens phone. Nessa was just staring at her food. 

"Steven, I swear to God. If you look at that phone one more time I'm putting it in the screen basket" Laurel threatens. 

"It's just we want to see your beautiful faces" Susannah explains. "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know like the olden days" She asks the table. 

"Steven?" Jeremiah says before taking his phone out of his hands and shooting it into a basket, making it perfectly. 

"Dude, are you kidding me?" Steven complained. 

"Boom! Nailed it!" Jeremiah cheered. 

"Okay, okay, okay, I get you've been working out" Steven says. 

"Oh, your just jealous because Jere has a better body than you" Belly says. Nessa cracks a smile. 

"Uh, no, It's all about the lean look now. Otherwise you can;t wear tailored suits" Steven says. The table erupts into laughter. 

"When are you leaving for training camp, man?" Steven asked Conrad. Nessa, knowing that this subject made him uncomfortable, found his hand and intertwined their fingers. 

"Uh, he quit football" Jeremiah explains. The table got silent and Nessa started to feel out of place. 

"Wait, you really quit?" Steven asked. Conrad nods his head. 

"Are you kidding me man? I'd kill to play college ball" Steven said. 

"He can always change his mind" Susannah says. 

"I'm not gonna change my mind. I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways" Conrad states. Nessa knew that wasn't true, but decided against saying anything. 

"Well, if your not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?" Laurel asks. 

"oh dude you could work at the club. With me and Jere" Steven suggests. 

"I'm not gonna work at the club" Conrad shoots the idea down. 

"Wait, you guys are working this summer?" Belly asks. 

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding" Jeremiah says. "And Steven's working at the snack shop" Belly looked sad at that for some reason. 

"Oh, Belly, Nessa, I almost forgot" Susannah gets up from her chair. "I have a surprise with you both" Susannah hands her and Belly both a card. "Oh you didn't have to do anything for me" Nessa starts. "Nes, open it" Nessa follows her boyfriends mothers instructions.