Chapter 31 - Year 8

Elle

I debated whether I should start supper while I thought about letting Noah in. I had planned a romantic dinner for our first night this weekend, although the last thing I was in the mood for now was romance.  Instead I decided I would make Noah's favorite, red velvet cupcakes, which I had planned on making for dessert.  Maybe baking would help me to get my mind off our fight. 

As I started to get of the ingredients out, I went back through the argument in my head, trying to figure out why I had gotten so upset. I'm not sure Noah even said anything that bad. I know I had a tendency to overreact sometimes, is that what I did here?

Noah and I were no strangers to arguing.  We had basically been doing it all our lives.  Since Noah was older than me and Lee, he always acted like a such a know it all when we were kids that for some reason I always wanted to prove him wrong.  When we got to high school, our bickering fights continued, probably because I liked any kind of attention from him.  By the time we started dating, it was almost a kind of flirting for us.  That hasn't changed much as we've gotten older.  As much passion as we have in our relationship, there are plenty of times when that becomes impassioned fighting.  Although I honestly think part of the reason Noah goads me into fighting is for the makeup sex.  He doesn't even try to hide the fact that it is his favorite. 

I realize thinking of sex with Noah is definitely not helping right now.  Even if it does take my mind off our fight, it brings right back to my mind what we had been fighting about.  As I measure the flour and sugar before mixing them with the other ingredients, I realized how stupid I had been to shut Noah outside.  Noah and I were horrible at communicating with each other when we were younger, okay maybe even when we had gotten older, but we had really worked on it the past couple years.  We had learned how important it was to talk to each other through our issues.

I walked to the door and unlocked it, expecting Noah to crash through it. When he didn't, I opened the door and peaked out.  I didn't see him, so I walked out and looked around, calling his name a couple times.  I hadn't heard his motorcycle leave the driveway so I guessed he went for a walk on the beach to clear his head.

I went back to the kitchen and my cupcakes.  I always love how cooking and baking clears my mind from spiraling out of control. Spending time in the kitchen really helped me when Noah and I were having issues a few years ago.   I don't need it much for relationship problems anymore, although it does help with stress relief from life in general. 

As I crack the eggs, I let myself remember that weekend Noah brought up when we were in the ocean earlier today.  That weekend a decade ago when he claims to have fallen for me.  I'm still not sure I believe there was a time that weekend when he thought about making a move on me. I think back to that younger version of the two of us, glad that I'm no longer a teenager and dealing with all the angst and confusion.  I'm surprised I've never thought of it before but that would have been our first beach house weekend together.

Ten Years Ago

I slowed myself walking down the stairs as I heard June say my name in conversation.  I stopped when I heard Noah's voice respond, annoyed.  "I'm sure she'll be fine on her own Mom, why do I need to babysit her?"  Crap, that's what I was afraid would happen when June told me about her plan for this weekend.  I tried to tell her I would be fine, the last thing I wanted was for Noah to resent having to hang out with me. Lee and I didn't usually hit many of the parties around the beach but even I knew there was supposed to be a big one this weekend and Noah was not one to miss out on parties.

I sat down on the stairs, out of view from the kitchen, where I could tell Noah and June were.   June sounded frustrated.  "I'm sorry that Mike had to go out of town with Brad the same weekend that your Dad and I have to be out of town and Lee has plans with Cam."  I held my breath, waiting for Noah to throw Lee under the bus and tell June what Lee was really doing this weekend.  But he didn't say anything and June continued.  This time I could hear the angry Mom in her voice.  "Noah, I don't ask much of you, I'd like you to do this for me without complaining."