Chapter 3: I Might Should Tell You...

 "Amaya, dear, could you hand me a clean glass, please," Mother Anne asks as I walk in the cabin door.

"Sure," I reply as I grab a clean glass out of one of the cabinets. I have been a vampire for three days now and I have finally come to terms with what I am, for the most part. I go for a walk every day to the little waterfall that creates a small collection of pools that cascade into the small pond below them. Every now and again, I find myself having a small breakdown and wishing to go home. Of course leaving is something Mother Anne would never allow for me to do.

"Thank you, dear," she says as I hand her the cup. "Are you ready for your lesson today?" she asks me, sitting the cup on the table beside her chair. My eyes widen at her question. Over the past three days, she has taught me how to use radar and telekinesis, be invisible, use my strength, vision, and hearing, and how to appear to be human when in public.

"What more could there possibly be to learn?" I ask.

"Well, one will never know all the secrets of this vast world," Mother Anne replies without really giving a definite answer in that way I have learned she has. "Plus, you have yet to master telekinesis."

I groan at the thought of trying that particular trick again. Telekinesis requires all of my concentration and more patience than I can imagine any one person having.

Mother Anne, oblivious to my unwillingness to practice my vampire skills, cheerfully spits out instructions. "Ok, try lifting the glass while it is empty. You almost had it yesterday."

It takes loads of effort and several tries before I lift the glass in the air. It levitates in place a few inches above the table for a moment before it falls back down. I try again, this time lifting it higher with more success than before.

"Try bringing it closer to you," Mother Anne suggests as she lounges comfortably in her chair.

Even though hand motions are not necessary for a vampire to use telekinesis, I tend to move my hands anyway. Lifting my right hand, I curl my fingers into my palm twice. The glass wobbles in its place suspended in air before dropping toward the ground several inches.

"Steady, Amaya. Glass tends to be breakable," Mother Anne says. I huff as I concentrate on the glass now plummeting to the ground. Mother Anne scoffs as she stops the bottle in mid-air, mere inches from kissing the wooden floor. I sigh in defeat.

She pats my shoulder sympathetically, "I know you are getting tired of all these lessons but a vampire without knowledge of how to use her powers is more dangerous than the strongest wizard or wildest werewolf."

"Wizards and werewolves exist, too?" I ask, my interest piqued, "Do we have any enemies?"

"Not exactly," Mother Anne replies, but that appears to be all she is going to say on the subject. After several more minutes of very little success on telekinesis, I sink in the chair opposite to her, giving up.

"You are catching on faster than I expected," Mother Anne remarks. The moments drag by of inactivity and Mother Anne eventually asks if I want to get back to practicing.

"Can I hear more about the enemies that vampires don't exactly have?" I ask hopefully.

"Sure, there are many things I should tell you about. Vampires do have a fairly intriguing history. As far as that goes, I have quite a few stories I could share as well," Mother Anne says.