#3: Bun In The Oven

Prompt #3: Bun In The Oven
Prompter: forever_everlark27

Katniss opened her eyes slowly. It took time to adjust her eyes to the bright white-purple light coming from above her. She reckoned it was so bright because Peeta had just fixed the bulb yesterday while she was showering.

She reached for her phone and read the timing at the top of the screen.

1:54 am

She blinked blearily. Why was she alone in such a bright room at such a late time? Where the hell was Peeta?

She sat up, bracing her palms on the blue sheets she was laying on. She finally realized she was in the bedroom she shared with Peeta. Someone had turned on the lights. Maybe it was her, not wanting to be caught in the dark at night while waiting up for Peeta.

She had news.

Good news? Bad news? She herself had no idea.

Katniss slid off the bed and padded to the bathroom. She washed her face and brushed her teeth, then walked back out. She flipped off the lights and slipped her feet into her white fluffy slippers she had stolen from the hotel she and Peeta stayed at for their honeymoon.

Katniss rolled back down the sleeves of the grey top she was wearing, letting the fabric cover her bony arms. It was cold, even though she was wearing a long pair of pajama pants with her grey top.

She opened the door and peeked her head out. It was silent. She was sure no one was in the kitchen and she could clearly see the living room was vacant as well. Peeta was either not at home or painting in the office-made-studio.

Katniss sighed. Peeta was barely even at home. He was always out working at the bakery till late, covering for his brother who was expecting his second child.

Katniss licked her lips and continued on. She passed the guest room and climbed down the stairs. Peeta's studio was downstairs. She walked towards his studio and heard the wood of a paintbrush clanging against glass softly.

Peeta was in here for sure.

Katniss unbraided her hair, letting it fall in waves down her back. She slid the hairband on her wrist before continuing. Why was Peeta up so late, painting? Had he arrived home early, only to see Katniss fast asleep in their bedroom? Why hadn't he joined her?

Katniss neared the room and leaned carefully against the door.

"Hey." She murmured.

Peeta jumped. He dropped his damp brush in surprise before whirling around.

"Katniss?" Peeta hopped off his stool. "I thought you were sleeping."

"I thought you were still at work," Katniss folded her arms. "Why didn't you wake me?"

"I wanted to surprise you but you looked so tired, so I just carried you upstairs." Peeta explained.

"And the lights?" Katniss asked. "Why were the lights on?"

"Oh, I must've forgotten to switch them off," Peeta stepped in front of Katniss. "I'm sorry."

Katniss shook her head.

"No, I'm sorry for getting annoyed," she took Peeta's hands. "Show me what you've been painting."

Peeta grinned and pulled her to his seat and canvas. She only saw swirls of green everywhere.

"That's not the shade I like." Katniss commented quietly.

"I know," Peeta answered. "I'm painting Johanna. Her birthday's coming up soon, isn't it?"

"It is," Katniss wrapped her arms around Peeta's waist, resting her chin on his shoulder. "You have the cutest face when you paint."

Katniss said this just as Peeta began to blend, his eyes focused on the paper and his tongue jutting out slightly in concentration.

"Do you like it?" Peeta questioned, dipping his paintbrush in a different color.

"I love it." Katniss pressed a kiss to Peeta's cheek lovingly.

Then she remembered. She pulled her arms away from Peeta and retrieved another stool. She plopped it down right beside the canvas and sat down on it. Peeta didn't even glance at her. He knew she loved watching him paint. This was nothing new.

But her news was.

"Peeta, I've been meaning to tell you something." Katniss locked her hands together.

"Hm?" Peeta hummed, starting to fill out the blanks on Johanna's dark green dress.

"I'm pregnant."

Peeta almost dropped his brush again. His eyes darted up to Katniss. They reflected shock and disbelief.

"No."

"No?" Katniss repeated. "What do you mean no? You wanted this so bad!"

"I do!" Peeta exclaimed. "I.. it didn't.. oh my God."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day when Peeta Mellark couldn't form a sentence." Katniss said, smiling softly.

"You're pregnant." Peeta finally whispered.

"Yeah," Katniss took Peeta's hands again and rested them on her tummy, grinning widely. "I'm pregnant."

💘✨🙌✖️
yey theres a bun in katniss's oven woohoo 🎉

let me know what you guys think of this one. leave more requests! ill get to them, i promise.

slowly but surely 😂

**feel free to message me and request any fact, edit or quote from little mix, one direction, josh hutcherson, ariana grande or the pretty little liars cast**

• #3: Bun In The Oven•
word count: 776 words 💬

Why you tryna make me your enemy? ⚓️

-A 💓