Part Four

"A gentle warmth emanates from the mountain's jade-green glow. I blink at its brightness, at the majestic way it curls around the massive wedge of blue-black stone. I step back. As it rises into the clouds, I hear a crack of thunder, and the rain falls in needles."

--from Pearl's "pregnancy dream" journal

Tadashi poured two glasses of orange juice-- one for Pearl, and one for himself. As the bright liquid rose through the tall glass, he heard loud footsteps rumble through the upstairs hall, then rattle down the stairs. He took a sip and looked over his shoulder. Pearl!

"Hi, honey," he greeted, "I...."

His wife flew into the room and grabbed her glass, taking a long swig before slamming the glass on the counter. She released a satisfied ahhhhh before thanking him.

"No problem," he said, rubbing her shoulder, "But what's all the rushing around for? I thought you were done for the day."

Pearl blinked. She looked exhausted, with thick bags under her big brown eyes. False eyelashes and pink eyeshadow adorned one eye while the other was bare. Her wavy hair stuck out in every direction. Even her reddish-purple nail polish was chipped-- something she wouldn't be caught dead in. He looked down at the round belly bulging through her flowing shirt. With how big it had grown, he wanted to carry her to the big comfy armchair, prop her feet up, and put on a movie.

"The press conference comes on in a minute," she explained, "My Internet went out, so I have to find it on TV." She craned her neck towards it. "That is, unless you're watching it."

"Uh, no, I didn't have any shows tonight." He yawned and leaned back to pop his back. "Mind if I join you?"

"Sure, but don't ask any questions."

"Well...." He chuckled. "I'll get that out of the way now...what's this press conference exactly?"

Pearl opened the drawer, digging around for a pen and notepad.

"The one on NHK," she said, as if that cleared everything up.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't watched the news this week."

Pearl's eyes bulged until he saw more white than brown.

"Haven't watched? Well, I...I would explain but I don't know if I have the time." She scribbled a blue pen on a sticky note, testing the ink. "I guess you can find out tonight, but I must say, it's S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G."

Tadashi laughed, his plump cheeks burning pink.

"Amano Pearl, you say that about everything!  Why, you said that when I serenaded you in Spanish."

"OK, then, I mean it this time." She grabbed a strong black pen and yellow lined notepad. "It's like something out of a movie. At first, I thought I dreamed it, but the more I saw and read, the more I learned the truth."

"Not to burst your bubble, but I just sang the Taco Bell menu while playing the guitar."

She smiled and squeezed his arm.

"Come on. You know how quick those news folks are."

"Good thing I got the juice when I did. When he doesn't get his fruit, Kurio goes goblin mode."

"Kurio?"

"You know...the little boy from Mach GoGoGo, the one who hides in the trunk?"

"Oh, Spritle! I haven't seen that show in ages." She raised an eyebrow. "You know our baby's a girl, right?"

"Yes, but it's fun to play around with nicknames before they're born."

"True. Mom said she used to call me Gulper Eel."