Chapter Five

In the haze of nicotine-induced, sweaty atmosphere, it was almost comical as to why people would pay just to crane your neck so far up the stage to see someone performing, while being sandwiched hip-to-hip by a bunch of newly bloomed adolescent.

With the cigarette hung between Talia's fingers, its ashes flowing by the person in front of her and burning the tip of the skirt they were wearing, she felt sweat dripping over her forehead. She brought the cigarette to her lips, inhaling deeply, then blew some puffs right out of her mouth. The floors under her shoes started shaking in sync to the vibrating speakers up front. She started jumping along with everyone else when the DJ was screaming to their microphone prompting them to do so. It was a mad house all around.

Peeking a glance backstage, there stood Vega. Looming over her, with a look so inviting that she couldn't help but walk away from Gigi and towards the other girl. Brushing past everyone's shoulders as she scooted them out of the way to finally reach the metal gate upfront. She smiled apologetically at the pigtail girl as she had just nudged her lightly along the way. Holding onto the metal gate, she leaned over her stomach to call out the big bouncer guy standing nearby. She whispered at him when the guy leaned closer, as she watched him pull out a string of keys in his fingers, twisting it around on the lock.

She strutted over backstage, watching people mile around behind the heavy black curtains as her arm hassled slightly harder trying to open them up. Her eyes wandered on one thing; Vega. With the hair curled up above her shoulders, makeup that accentuated her chubby cheeks, Vega walked over towards Talia as they caught each other's eyes. Vega reached out for a bone-crushing hug, startling Talia, but she was quick to react and embraced the girl even tighter.

Vega began to speak as she pulled away. "You're here! And I see you brought a little friend out there."

Talia's cheeks scorched up a shade of red. At the diner, she hadn't really introduced her to Gigi, in fact, she just flew out of the scene. She hadn't really found a way to tell the girl about her past childhood friend. She looped her fingers through the strings of her hoodie, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "Yeah, she's, um... my childhood friend. We used to ride bikes together. Who knew, right?"

Vega's eyes lit up, tugging a side smile at the upper corner of her lips. Her eye twitched. "Riding bikes, huh? So you were into that even then?"

Talia slapped Vega's arm, causing the girl to stumble over and fall hard onto her chest. She rolled her eyes, holding onto the girl's hand as Vega stood up. "Don't you have a rehearsal or whatever to get to?"

"It's all done, baby," Vega flashed a grin, her dimples deepened. She stepped closer, wrapping her arms around Talia's neck, planting a kiss on the girl's lips. "You feel like introducing me to this childhood friend or what?"

Under the florescent street lights, Talia and the others were walking down the sidewalk, deciding on the Mini Mart close by the venue of the concert. The mini mart that was once viral online when she was scrolling on that one app. She pushed open the glass door, enveloping herself in a burst of crusty wooden smell that seemed to linger for quite some time. The floors were still left cemented with only one cashier box on one side and a display case that carried dimsum type of food.

"Okay, is it just me or is this place giving off major serial killers vibe? Seriously, I'm not surprised if there was even a murder here."

Talia threw a glance at Gigi's way, watching the girl make her way towards an aisle and pick up a Hot Cheetos. She tilted her head when Vega patted her on the shoulder, "You sure have a type."

Reaching her hand out as Talia pushed Gigi further into an aisle. Talia stood in front of the rack that sold artistically decorative binder in which she used to exchange with her peers as kids. The rule was each quality of binder had its own price; the better the quality was, the more likely her peers would want to exchange them for. She used to have this very rich friend who didn't really care about that and just gave stuff away. Since then, she had only written like five letters in the first few months of moving, but it was forgotten after.

Taking one out of the rack, the one with a bear at the bottom page that said harvest, Talia showed it off to everyone. "Oh my, do you all remember this? It's like going back in time."

Gigi chipped in, standing right next to Talia. "Never had those. Couldn't afford it," she revealed.

Gigi's parents weren't the luckiest in any form, but when Talia would have sleepovers, they made sure to keep the house as warm as possible. One of the reasons why Talia spent and actually preferred staying over on weekends. The house was small; one-story building with a living room right after the front door, then a long hallway with two bedrooms on the side. The bedroom wasn't big either, there was only one giant bed took up the most space and the rest was filled with plastic closet and very small vanity in which was mostly crammed with makeup. Even she had to walk outside to get to the bathroom, right down the block, with very minimal lighting and a giant tub filled with water.

Talia cooed at Gigi, "But I do miss sleeping at your house, though. And your mother's cooking. They're the best."

Gigi scowled, moving away from Talia to look at the opposite rack. In a low hush of whisper, she murmured. "Yeah, I miss it too, her mostly."

"Wait, you guys used to have sleepovers?"

Talia's hand flew and landed on Vega as the nonchalant statement slipped out of the girl's mouth. She put her hand on Gigi's shoulder reassuringly, "Gigi. I have no idea. Since when?"

Gigi half-shrugged, intertwining her fingers together. "Short after you left, a year I think. I don't really remember, it was the worst day of my life that I don't even care to memorize."

Talia used to think about the things that she missed out or was going to miss out after every move that she did. She'd think about who was going to fill up the empty seat next to this girl Bianca, about the park that she left footprints in from when she played hide and seek with her friends, about the places that she wasn't going to visit anymore, about the fun school trips that she was supposed to have every year but couldn't be there for. She'd think about those things. Then she'd end up moping in her room, looking up to the light-up stickers attached on her ceiling.

"I missed a lot, didn't I?"

A snort of chuckle emerged from Gigi. The light was back in her eyes as she glanced up. "Yes you did. But you're here now."