Paint the city yellow

Memphis, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee

Sienna sighed taking in the environment around her as she reminisced on all the memories that she had made in her hometown. it had been years since she stepped foot here, but for some reason it didn't feel any less welcoming than it did before. almost everything was just like she left it but there was some new additions to the town. in three years so much yet so little could change and she knew that because she herself had changed dramatically in the time frame. even the people she once knew seemed to evolve without her and she couldn't help but to feel left out. her childhood home sat on the nice sized slab of land that looked slightly brown due to the dry weather. the wind flew past her face making her silk pressed hair get caught in her glittery lipgloss. she pushed one foot ahead of the other and trailed her way up the steps finally reaching the big brown door. she pushed it opened seeing it was unlocked as always and shook her head quietly. mama always leaving the damn door open she sighed but couldn't help, but smile because the people in the neighborhood always made sure to keep her well protected. although memphis wasn't the safest area they were true natives so that came with being well respected. it was better than the people that just tried to come here to start trouble; the people from here truly valued each other's and keeping the community safe.

she walked into the living room seeing that everything looked the same since she left. the only thing different was the graduation picture that sat proudly in the middle of the wall. Sienna recently graduated from USF and her mother couldn't be more proud of her. she was apart of their child development program and figured she would try her hand at working with children since she always found that to be a passion of hers. since she could remember children always gravitated towards her and she wanted to be able to use her gift to help others. growing up in this environment she seen so many people fall victim to their circumstances all because they didn't have the proper guidance. she looked around the living room looking for any signs of life but came up short.

"MAAAA!" sienna yelled up the steps before grabbing the rail to lift herself up the steps. she padded up the carpeted steps before turning the corner.

"in the bathroom baby," she called and i seen the light coming from the back of the hallway. i walked into the doorway and seen that she was fixing her hair into a ponytail. her silver tresses swung around touching the middle of her back.

Sienna admired her mother a little longer before saying, "hey ma!"

"hey sweets, i missed you," she finished putting her hair up and turned to pull her daughter in a tight hug.

Sienna embraced her back, "you jus seen me ma' i wasn't gone that long," she laughed before pulling away from her. her mother cupped her face and kissed her cheek.

"i still miss you anyway," she laughed before waving her daughter off. between moving back to her hometown and bringing all her belongings from Florida although they seen each other they didn't see much of each other. she liked the scenery and beaches but she missed home and graduation gave her the perfect opportunity to come back. she wanted to begin a new chapter; she was only 19 when she left and she missed the nostalgic feeling. she missed the food, she missed her mama and she most definitely missed her younger sister Sahara. she was 11 months younger than her but they got along well and she was more like her better half. they should've just been twins because everybody always thought they were and they grew tired of correcting folks.