Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Charlotte's POV

I blew out a breath of air nervously as I sat at our table beside the window. "Is it hot in here?" I asked gnawing at my fingernails. Ethan chuckled and I tilted my head to the side. "What?" I asked.

He shook his head leaning on the table a bit. "It's just cute how you're nervous. There's nothing to worry about so what's wrong?" He asked smiling in a concerned manner.

I sighed closing my eyes and leaning forward as well. "Okay... This is the first date I've ever been on. I don't know exactly how to act." I admitted.

Ethan raised one eyebrow, "Walter took you on many dates."

"Those weren't exactly dates. He would tell me to meet up with him somewhere and usually when we got together it was in a group setting," I shrugged. "You publicly told people it was a date. You picked me up and we're at a nice restaurant. It's an actual date."

He grinned, "And I'm paying so that ties it all together. But if this is your first date, I'm gonna have to make this special." He said staring at me weird. Awkward.

I scrunched my lips to one side thoughtfully. "Though this is just for a show, can I count this as my first date?" I asked nervously. The reason I wanted it to be was because of who Ethan was. He was very handsome and well known in the town. I don't know, I think it'd be so awesome to say I went on an actual date with Ethan, the popular guy in school.

"Sure... I mean, it's not like this date is fake," He paused to look me in the eyes. "So yes. It does count. At least it will in my book." He shrugged.

I opened my mouth to say something but was rudely interrupted, "Charlotte?" I heard him ask. Not Ethan. I whipped my head around to face Walter. I gulped nervously but forced a smile trying to appear relaxed and confident. "What are you doing here?" Walter asked staring at me intensely.

"I'm on a date," I stated looking back to Ethan and he smiled encouragingly at me. He was a really good actor. I know the smile was probably for Walter to think Ethan was telling me I was alright. But behind it, I knew he was trying to relax me. And it worked. "You remember Ethan? He was in some of your classes last year." I said.

"I know him," Walter snarled looking at Ethan in disgust. "He's the scholarship student." He smirked arrogantly at Ethan. My chest felt heavy. Ethan was what?

"So?" Ethan asked raising an eyebrow clearly finding Walter very immature.

"Never mind," Walter dismissed flushing embarrassed. Wow, I should've got Ethan's help a long time ago. I was just eating his jealousy up. But my thoughts came to a jolting end when suddenly: "Come on, Valerie. You're late for your shift babe." Walter said just as she walked through the door. She glared at me and kissed him on the lips sloppily. My heart stopped and I turned away to look out the window as a tear slipped. I wiped it away quickly.

"I'll be home in a little bit, baby." She said striding off to the kitchen in her skimpy white dress that was so tight, I wondered if she could breath. I hope she gains a pound. Maybe the dress will be so tight she won't breath and hopefully die! I thought glaring at her even as she disappeared going to work.

Walter turned to me with a smug smirk on his face. "She's great isn't she?" he asked.

"Yeah." I mumbled another tear forcing its way out. I ducked my head low in shame and let my hair fall to cover my face. I heard Ethan inject a comment about us needing to be left alone and Walter finally left. I coughed finally letting the tears flow and shaking with sobs. Ethan moved to sit next to me in the booth and pulled his arms around me comfortingly. "I thought I was going to marry him!" I exclaimed burying my head inside of his jacket and laying on his chest. I didn't realise I'd react like this. The knot in my stomach was uncontrolled and painful. I thought I cried out all the tears. But the thought of losing what was my world and living alone was so hard to take on.

"Um, do you need a minute?" I heard someone ask sadly. I didn't look up and just hid against Ethan's hard chest.

"Yes please." he mumbled and the waiter walked away I'm guessing. He lifted my head up and smiled down at me. "Oh Charlotte!" He chuckled hugging me and wiping away the tears on my cheeks with his thumb. "You're so much better than her. It hurts because you're not used to seeing him, but it'll get better. I promise." He hugged me again.

It was so strange. His embrace seemed to effect me more than he'd ever realise. My tears stopped and it was like instant relief. I sat up finally composing myself and I forced a smile. He didn't remove his arm from my waist and that helped a lot. I looked around and thankfully no one seemed to notice that awful scene I made. "What would you like to drink?" The waiter asked coming back with a bright smile.

"Sweet tea." Ethan said looking at the menu. "And I'm ready to order. Spaghetti please." He ordered handing the women his menu.

"Coke and I'll have spaghetti as well." I said handing the menu.

"Alright, it'll be out in a minute." She smiled and went to go place our order.

"I'm sorry you had to have that whole Walter crap." Ethan mumbled looking at the table bitterly. "I don't see what you see in him. He's a jerk."

I blushed feeling for Ethan for a split second. He actually cared about me. "I don't either." I agreed smiling.

Who is Ethan Jones? A scholar student that ends up popular? A down to earth football player? It all seemed out of place. This left my mind to wonder. He looked like an open book. But now I realised, no one really knows this boy in front of me. At these thoughts I came to the conclusion that I was going to find out about Ethan Jones no matter what.