~ Chapter Three ~

Ace's POV
---------------------------------------------------------

I just got back from work and I was exhausted. I walked into the bedroom and closed the door. Laying down on the bed, I sighed tiredly. I didn't want to get back up, but I knew I had to. I changed out of my work clothes and into something more comfortable. I strided quietly over to the door, and opened it. I stepped out into the hall and opened the first closet to my left. I spent what felt like many hours reorganizing the closets and even the two bathrooms.

I walked into the kitchen and grabbed my phone off the counter and ordered something to eat, knowing Carmen won't be home until much later. While I waited, I wrote a note for tomorrow. I know he likes to read them, even though he never admits it.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. I walked up to it and opened it slightly, trying to see who it was. It was Iris and Maddie.

"Hey." Iris said, smiling when she saw me. I opened the door a bit more.

"Hello," I said, a hint of sleepiness in my voice. "What are you two doing here?" I asked, looking at Maddie, who was very happy to see me as well.

"I know I asked you to pick her up and you had to cancel, but I need help watching her." She spoke calmly.

"Sure, come in." I nodded, smiling as I stepped out of the way. The two of them entered and Maddie sat on the couch. Iris set her things down in a chair and closed the front door.

"Do you want something to eat?" I asked both them as I got out the food I had ordered, which had arrived just before they did.

"What is it..?" Maddie asked curiously, her quiet voice a little difficult to hear from the distance between us.

"Sirloin." I answered, still smiling as I opened one of the boxes. Maddie tilted her head in confusion, her braided pigtails shifting slightly when she did.

"It's steak." Iris said, giving her an answer that seemed easier for her to understand.

"Ohh.. Ok!" Maddie said happily. Iris laughed, seemingly finding her response funny.

I took three plates out of the cabinet and placed the food on each of them. We sat at the table and discussed how our day went while we ate. Maddie took a math test and scored a 100. Iris got stuck in traffic and was late to work. Then she fell into a hole her coworkers dug and got covered in mud from where it had rained the night before. I had to stay at the station and clean the locker rooms. Including the men's. It was awful. But the day was nearly over. Iris and Maddie ended up staying the night. Iris slept on the couch, and Maddie slept in the guest room. Carmen came home around 11. I was in the bedroom reading, when he walked in and laid down beside me. I eventually put my book down and went to sleep. I wasn't sure when Carmen did, though. Or if he even went to sleep at all.