Chapter 6 - The New Normal

-o-o-o-o-o-

"Well there you are," said Overhead, who'd come to pick Rodimus up at Leisure World International the previous day, identifying himself as Shunt's father. "Wondered if you were going to sleep all day. Your memories back yet? I'm seriously hoping so because you're on shift tomorrow."

"Good morning, Shunt-dear," said the green and blue mech coming into the communal room from another door. He'd been introduced as Cardios the previous night. "How did you sleep?" He approached Rodimus and put his hands on his shoulders, and before Rodimus could answer, his carrier was talking again, cupping Rodimus' cheek. "It's so nice seeing you around again. And maybe now your sire will quit grumbling to me about work." He leaned in and kissed Rodimus on the side of his helm. "But you'll have to tell me of all your adventures and what you did and who you rescued and did you save the universe and all that," he said in his soft, faraway voice. "Do you still like your energon warmed, with a splash of silver?"

"Um, sure," said Rodimus, taking a seat at the table.

Overhead chuckled. "I see your memories haven't returned. That's Highspot's seat."

"Oh, sorry," Rodimus replied. "No... I guess they haven't."

"This one's yours, Shunt-dear," said Cardios, placing a hand on the back of one of the chairs. Rodimus couldn't help but feel comforted by this mech's loving demeanor. He seemed so gentle and caring. The fact that he was wearing a cloth apron only added to that comfort.

Rodimus sat, looking about the room. Unlike the previous night, when he and Overhead had come in, it was brightly-lit and welcoming... and so very working-class. There was nothing about that spoke of wealth or adventure or intellect. But instead the room was full of quite lived-in furniture and the mementos of a couple that had raised six children. Everything pointed to six offspring having been sparked by the pair. In particular the holo-carousel atop the table that displayed eight figures all holding hands in a circle. Rodimus wanted to sigh each time the image of himself passed by.

Cardios put a cube of energon in front of Rodimus, followed by a small plate of gelled treats.

"You're spoiling him," Overhead huffed without even looking away from his datapad, which from the sounds it was making it was obviously playing a news broadcast.

"Of course I am," the green and blue mech retorted. "I haven't gotten a chance to in three meta-cycles."

Overhead just answered with a snort, and then reached across the table to swipe one of the treats the moment his conjunx's back was turned.

Cardios sat down at the table and leaned his head into one hand, gazing at Rodimus. "So did you feel like Captain Starbolt?" he asked, his voice sounding so soft and honest.

Overhead snorted in something of a mocking tone.

"Hush, dear," was Cardios' immediate response.

Rodimus thought back to the picture in his room, of the two gallant mechs Shunt apparently admired above all else. "I did," he said, figuring the answer would be true if he really was Shunt.

"I'll bet you had lots of adventures. Meet anyone special? Maybe a special mech or a femme?"

Rodimus grimaced. Cardios was such a carrier. "Nah, but I did make some great friends... some of the guys I was playing with. We're going to stay in touch."

Cardios put his hand on Rodimus' arm. "That's wonderful. Maybe sometime you can have them all over for a party or something. It's been ages since we've had a party."