Cyar'ika

~Author's Note~
Prompt: K is for Kiss
Summary: Before parting ways a couple months following Order 66, Rex and Ahsoka FINALLY come to grips with their feelings for one another.
_______________________________

Ahsoka settled on the edge of the ship's hull—hardly more than a gap in the floor of the cockpit, leading down into the inner workings of the ship. She let her legs dangle over the side, watching Rex meticulously work away at repairs. Typically, she took on the role of mechanic. But Rex had insisted on doing it himself tonight. Ahsoka could easily detect his distressed aura in the Force. She knew that working with his hands was often the only way to cope with the mental gymnastics running his mind ragged.

These past few weeks following Order 66 had pushed both of them past their breaking points on every level, physical as well as emotional. When they weren't making arrangements for their inevitable goodbye, scraping up enough credits to bargain for a second ship, the days blended together. A sullen silence had fallen between them, broken only when one of their shared tasks demanded it.

She missed hearing his thoughts, seeing the lively spark in his eyes that had been extinguished as they buried their dead brothers-in-arms.

Now that the day had finally come, when they would ultimately have to part ways, perhaps forever—the silence was unbearable. But she didn't know what she should say, or what she even wanted to say. So Ahsoka contented herself with watching him, her gaze running along his blonde buzz cut that had just barely reached a perceptible length; down the beige undershirt and dark slacks that at least made him look like a civvie.

"Scanners show a potential meteor shower at 0400. We've both got to leave earlier than planned if we want to get out of here in one piece." Rex stood up within the hull, nearly at eye level now, but purposefully choosing not to stop his work. He diverted his attention to the toolbox, fumbling through in search of something. But Ahsoka knew it was just a way to avoid looking her directly in the eyes.

"Rex."

"At this rate, we'd be lucky to finish by the end of the night."

"Rex."

"But don't worry, I'll have it done, I—"

"Rex."

Ahsoka grabbed his wrist, peeling his attention away from his work. She ran her thumb fondly across the stains of oil and dirt on his hand, the coarseness of his palm, hoping that the memory would last longer than she knew the moment would.

Rex watched her, eyes full of wonder and a hint of...longing?

Ahsoka closed her eyes and sighed.

"I'm sorry for leaving you," she said, words trembling as she tried and failed to forget that this was their last night together.

Before he's gone, and everything changes.

"What?"

"I'm sorry for leaving you, and Anakin, and the 501st. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when Fives—"

"Ahsoka," he interrupted. "There's no need to apologize. It's ok."

"No," she croaked. "Please, let me finish." Ahsoka drew a stilted breath and continued, her voice small despite her best efforts to keep her composure. "I don't think we should split up."

Rex gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, but kept his tone even-keel as usual.

"You know there's nowhere else I'd rather be than by your side. But we have to do this, if I'm to save any more of my brothers. The Inner Rim is the last place you need to be."

"Rex, we both know we're stronger together."

"I can blend in, Ahsoka. It's a perk of looking exactly like hundreds of thousands of other men." He managed a sad smile. "But that would be a lot harder for you. It would put an even bigger target on your back. Remember Senator Amidala's funeral? How close of a call that was?"