Chapter 6

The mother makes nervous eye contact with me as her face erupts in a crimson colored blush of embarrassment at her son's innocent question.

"Bobby, we do not ask questions about people we do not know," she answers as she gives me a wobbly smile.

Looking away from them as the mother rushes off with her son before I can reply to his question. My brother's and Mason are looking at me with different expressions - my brother's with worry, and Mason with pity. I hate pity as much as I hate worry. Grabbing my bag, I give them a forced, weak smile before telling them I am going to the bookstore. I feel like I am being an asshole, but I just find it slightly unsettling that Lyric and Mason know each other, and the woman's embarrassment over the question from her son. I do not know why I feel weird, but I just do.

Wandering the bookstore, I enjoy the book smell as I search for a book or two to buy. Stopping at the section that has the Patricia Briggs books, searching for any that I do not have, and find two. Taking these to the front to buy, I notice Mason looking around for what, I do not know. Purchasing the books, I head from the store to find my brothers waiting just outside the store with Mason exiting just behind me.

"Where to next?" I ask despite my right leg starting to ache.

"We do not know about you, but we are ready to head home," Lyric responds, and I nod, internally relieved.

"Larken, I was wondering if you would like to spend the rest of the afternoon with me, please?" Mason requests as he fidgets slightly on his feet.

Groaning inside my head, I give him a tiny smile; "Um, I do not drive, so depending on where you are planning on going, I can take the bus home."

Mason frowns as do my brothers as he replies; "I would be willing to give you a ride home, or close to your home if you are not comfortable with me knowing where you live?"

Gwaning on my lower as I war with myself in my mind, but Lyric does not give me a chance; "Go on, Larken. Give me a call or a text if you want me to give you a ride home."

"Okay," I whisper to Mason who smiles, motioning for me to join him.

"Thanks for agreeing to spend time alone with me," he grins as we exit the mall into the parking lot, and we reach his beautiful black Ford Mustang a minute later.

"You have a beautiful car," I murmur in awe as he unlocks the doors with the key fob.

"Thanks, she is my baby," he chuckles with a growing smile while we open the doors.

Settling into the seat, Mason starts the engine, and drives up off to our new destination.

"What kind of music do you enjoy?" he asks, turning on the radio to a low volume.

"Um, I like most everything, so I am not picky," I reply with a slight smile.

Mason hums softly as he leaves the radio on the station it is on, and the following silence between us is driving me crazy.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, picking at the hem of my shirt as I stare at his strong jawline that could cut glass.

Man, I would not mind being made of glass, and let him cut me. Damn, maybe Lochlan is right, and I need to get laid. Maybe, I should find a one night stand next weekend. Bad Larken, get your mind out of the naughty gutter.

"We are going to my lake house," he calmly replies with a quickly grin at me, not catching my frown.

"Um, that is cool you have a lake house, but why are you taking us there?" I nervously ask, chewing on my lower lip in fear.

He quickly frowns at me; "Why? I thought you said you have gone to the beach before?"

"I have," I murmur. "I have enough warning on those other times, but it is fine."

"Are you sure because we can go somewhere else?" he tentatively asks. "I thought it would be a nice way to end a wonderful day."

"Yeah, it's fine," I murmur, internally freaking out about my aching leg, and being near the water with a man I have just recently met.

I know I should be honest with Mason, but I cannot bring myself to do so, and disappoint him. I am sure I will be fine as long as I stay far enough back from the water. Five long and tense minutes later, Mason is pulling into the driveway of a cute, little "beachy" style home.

"It is cute," I mumble as I stare wide eyed at the water behind the house.

"Thanks," he smiles as I can feel his eyes stare into the side of my face. "Are you sure about this because I do not want you to feel forced into something you are uncomfortable with."

Thickly swallowing as I stare wide eyed at the gently rolling waves, tightly holding my body in position as I try to keep the flashbacks away as I start to shake, and my breathing picks up.

"I-I-I c-can't do t-this," I stammer as my chest begins to become heavy. "I-I-I n-need my d-dad or L-lyric."

"Okay. I am going to take your phone from your hand to call Lyric, okay?" I vaguely hear Mason gently tell me, and I barely notice him taking my phone from my clenched fingers.

I have no idea how much time has passed before Lyric is pulling the passenger side door open, and carefully pulls me from the seat. Burrowing myself tightly against his warm, solid body as he tightly me against him. Lyric is whispering softly into the hair at the top of my head as he sways us side to side.