Take Me Home

Two weeks later, Louis is discharged from the hospital. Harry wheels him over to the car in a wheelchair, a tote bag slung over his shoulder with all Louis' meds. Having stayed by Louis' side almost the full two weeks, the nurses showed Harry how to care for him and make sure he was comfortable. They warned him in low voices while Louis slept about the side effects he'd have to deal with, but Harry doesn't care. All he wants is to be with his baby again. Speaking of which. They never did talk about what was going to happen, but Harry didn't want to push it again while Louis was still in the hospital. He decides they can talk about it when they're home. 

Harry stops in front of his car and unlocks it, before scooping Louis up from the wheelchair and gently depositing him in the front seat.

"I can walk, you know," Louis snorts. "They said not very far, but I can probably manage one step, huh?"

Harry grins widely. 

"Maybe I just wanted to hold you," he responds shyly, helping Louis buckle his seatbelt and making sure he's comfortable. They stare into each other's eyes for a second, before a worried look crosses Louis' face. 

"And you're sure about this? Having me live with you and all that?" Louis asks nervously. "Niall said it would be really hard for you."

Harry's eyebrows crinkle.

"Of course I'm sure. You haven't spoken to Niall though, honey," Harry gently points out. "Maybe you had a dream about him? " he suggests, sliding into the driver's seat and slinging the bag of pills and bandages in the back.

"Something like that," Louis mutters, blushing.

***

When they've parked the car, Harry hesitates for a moment before getting out.

"Louis?" he nervously begins. "Does this mean-- I mean, do you want to be together again now?" he asks. Louis' breath catches, his eyes fixed on his lap.

"I'm... I'm not sure if I'm ready to have all that again yet," Louis replies in a shaky voice. "One day, definitely, but I think right now..." his voice trails off.

"I thought you said you loved me," Harry says, trying to keep the hurt out of his voice. 

"I do... love you," Louis says quietly, "But I'm just not ready for a relationship yet. I'm sorry." They sit awkwardly in silence for a few seconds, neither of them knowing what to say.

"I can stay somewhere else, if you want. If this makes you uncomfortable," Louis offers, his eyes still trained on his lap.

"No, don't worry about it," Harry breathes lowly. "Just forget that I even said anything."

He gets out of the car and goes around to help Louis out, but when he gets to the other side he finds Louis already standing up, getting the foldable wheelchair out of the back seat. Harry stands there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. 

But then Louis plops himself down, turns around and smiles up at Harry, his eyes dazzling. 

"Take me home," he instructs childishly and despite everything, Harry's heart melts into a little puddle right there in the parking lot.