• 17 •

eneaj

I leaned my head against Yenvy's as she laid on her side. "Talk to me, friend. I'm here for you."

"I can't...talk about this," she sniffled, "Our friend. Somebody we know, Eneaj."

"Illiora was gonna tell the truth about what she saw. If only she didn't hang around those people..."

"Man, it hurts, I know. But you also know Ill wouldn't want us to be sad n' shit, Yenvy."

"I know," she sat up and I moved back so she could do so all the way. She reached behind her nightstand and pulled out a bottle of some drank.

"I wanna be left...alone, right now, bestie," she looked over at me, sadness warm in her brown eyes like the emotion itself was amber.

"Okay," I patted her thigh and got out of the bed.

I grabbed the door knob, glancing back at her taking a straight swig out of the bottle. "I hope you feel better, Yenvy."

"Thanks," she said, her voice a little raspy.

I closed her bedroom door behind me, walking over to my room where Val...wasn't. She's probably downstairs, I thought to myself. I changed into some new clothes for the day and threw my hair into a higher bun. I smoothed some water over my eyebrows and bam, they were perfect.

Dressed in a casual matching set of sweats, I went downstairs to see if anybody was in the mood for breakfast.

"Still full from last night, to be honest," Milli responded from the couch.

"I can go out and get something if you want, but I was thinkin' about making something today, if you and Yenvy were fine with that," Pey suggested, "I know that might make Yenvy feel better."

"I think she'd like that," I agreed.

"Val's outside," Pey gestured to the front door.

"Thanks," I blushed a little. Was it that obvious I was about to ask where she was?

"Jadyn still asleep?" I heard Pey asking Milli.

"I don't know. But she was in a tense mood going to bed last night..."

I carefully opened up the front door in case Val was on the phone, in an attempt to not disturb her.

She was sitting outside on one of the steps, her head in her hands. She looked how I really felt right now.

"Val...you okay?" I asked tentatively, bending down to her level.

"Yeah," she sniffed, "I'm ight."

Man, it felt like everybody was down today. I really hated that for all of us.

"I think we should all go out together and get the spirits up around here," I suggested. "Yeah, that'd be real great."

"How are we gonna pay, Eneaj?" Val shook her head, "And none of us will let you or Yenvy pay either. You guys have already had a rough enough mornin'."

I sighed, leaning against the front door as I closed it behind me. "Well, we gotta do something."

"The weather's clear," Val sighed too. We both looked up at the sky. The thing about Houston weather is that at any point you'd never know what to expect. They call our weather here bipolar, even if that's a more...excessive term to use to describe it.

I'd say it's two faced: Smiling sun in your face one moment and angry tears the next.

"The other's will probably leave after breakfast," Val shrugged. "I was wondering if I could get one more night out of you and Yenvy," she turned around towards me, facing me now. "I know it's a lot to ask right now when you guys probably would like your place to yourself, but I just need to book with a hotel then I'm good."