• 24 •

valerie

"And I don't want you alone with Jadyn again," I mumbled, one hand on Eneaj's neck as she laid on her back, her legs on either side of my body in the air.

"Why?" she whispered, holding on tight to my other hand, as she whimpered.

"Because I don't like y'all together-

"Because you think we fuckin' around," she cut in.

I squeezed her thigh, going deeper inside of her, "All this shit right here is mine. And I don't want either of y'all to forget that."

"If it's yours, why you keep teasin' me? Show me what you can do, Valerie?" she said, sitting up and staring me in the eye. "Show me all you can do, Val."

Saturday morning felt different. Eneaj and I were back on good terms, but knowing that the crew would be with us at the club tonight was making my stomach churn.

One thing I knew for sure was that some shit was gonna go down.

"C'mon. Make me breakfast," I mumbled against Eneaj's breast.

"You make yo own shit," Eneaj said, eyes still closed.

And I was probably gonna be the one to cause it.

"Fine. Good morning, love," I smiled. Eneaj smiled back, still half asleep, her smile peaceful.

I got out of her bed and pulled on my night clothes from the night before. I left her door cracked and went to knock on Yenvy's door.

"Wassup?"

"It's me," I stuck my head in. "You want some breakfast? I'm finna start cookin'."

"Some eggs, some toast," she waved her stylus around, holding up her iPad against her knees. "Um, Val...I gotta question for you?"

"What's that?" I walked into the room, leaning against the wall as Yenvy sat there under the covers, live TV switched on her television.

"Does Peytyn ever...talk about me anymore?" she asked tentatively, "Because I was just...wondering?"

"I'm not around Pey much, so I couldn't tell you," I admitted, "But I really think you guys should work shit out. Just because Jadyn doesn't want y'all together doesn't mean that should stop the two of you."

"But then she'd be outcasted..."

"Like me? Yeah I know," I nodded, "But you gotta ask Peytyn what matters more to her: the money or her bitch?"

"Seems like we all know the answer already then," Yenvy huffed, going back to whatever was on her iPad, "She's not here right now with me, is she?" she asked rhetorically.

I pressed my lips together. "Maybe you'll have some of the luck me and Eneaj got."

"I hope so. You guys are so cute together," she gushed, "I want that for myself too. Hey...Val?"

I turned back around, letting go of the doorknob.

"Wassup?"

"Any progress on finding who killed Illiora?"

"None so far. That day," and I wasn't sure if it was right for me to tell Yenvy this yet, even though Jadyn never objected to me doing that, "Zaza said he sold the gun that shot Illiora. But we still don't know who the person is. A guy or a girl. Nothing. Just a complete dead end."

"Nothing at all?" she sighed, taking her black, largely framed glasses off, and rubbing them on the bottom of her cotton shirt. Her hair was fluffy, like she had gotten it wet while it was straightened or something, and she had some slight eye bags.

"Don't let this stress you out, Yenvy-

"She was my friend once and now she's dead, plus...I'm a lawyer. Ion have nothing but stress on my shoulders." She gave me a small smile, "But thanks for looking out for me, Val."

I fumbled with my hands, adding another thing before I left, "Meet me for coffee at 12? Don't tell Eneaj," I said lowly.

She nodded slowly, frowning. "Okay, but...I'm not grimey, Val, just so you know..."

"Nothing like that. It's about potential info on your friend, Illiora."

"Alrighttt," she hesitantly agreed, looking back down at her tablet. "I'll fit you into my schedule."