May Invitations

Prompt- Write about a time you felt betrayed

  Here you go, hope to see you at the reception!" My smile dropped when Mrs. Heinbaucher disappeared around the corner. Fucking bitch. Why I had to give these stupid grad invites to my teachers was a question only my mother dearest could answer. I sighed and opened my locker door. I shoved the rest of my graduation invitations inside and put away any books I didn't need. A few papers and letters fell to the ground. More invitations or returned assignments. I scooped them up.

One stuck out in particular- a letter addressed from my best friend Evangaline Olrick. Directly underneath it lay a letter from Amy Triefin, a.k.a. the most annoying girl in this school. I hated her with a passion. Eva and I ranted about her frequently, but, for some fucked up reason, Eva chose to hang out with Amy more than me. It stung, but it wasn't like Eva cared for her or anything.

I tore into Eva's letter. I walked to the school's exit. Eva's pictures were amazing. I was almost jealous of how well her photographer captured her. I smiled and ruffled through my other papers, saving the worst for last. Unfortunately, there was nothing important in them. I unlocked my car and threw my backpack in the back. I slid into my seat and turned on my little Malibu.

I couldn't avoid the damned letter any longer. I glared down at Amy's perfect writing. So infuriating. I tore into the letter. Pictures of Amy's plastic-surgery face greeted my already burning eyes. Ugh. She resembled a disassembled Barbie doll that someone botched while trying to repair it.

The address on the invitation caught my eye before I threw it away. Wait, that couldn't be right. Amy had Eva's address on her invitation.

I blinked. The address didn't disappear. "Reception to follow at the Olrick's residence promptly after the ceremony."

My heart jumped into my throat. Tears stung my eyes before I could stop them. This wasn't right. I was supposed to have my graduation part with Eva; we'd decided on it years ago! But, when I suggested it to her this year, she said her mom wouldn't allow it. I thought it was weird. Jenny Olrick told me numerous times I was like a second daughter to her. In fact, I wasn't allowed to call her anything but Mom.

When I slipped out of my thoughts, I found my makeup ruined from the sheer amount of tears running down my face. I sniffled and wiped my face clean. I dug out some emergency makeup wipes and clean up my makeup.

I glared down at the hideous card in my lap. I grabbed out my small lighter and lit the card aflame. A small grin stole its way onto my face. I opened my car door and dropped the card outside. I slammed my door shut and threw my car in reverse. God, I hated lying whores.

I sped the entire way home. Once I got home, I went straight upstairs. I had no energy to be social after crying like that. Notifications blew up my phone. I dropped my backpack to the ground and sank onto my bed. Closing my eyes, I savored the warmth and softness.

My phone refused to be silent.

I groaned and grabbed it. Snapchat was aflame with news of how the high school was ablaze. My eyes widened. The stupid invitation. I swallowed and looked at the pictures. The fire ate away half of my high school. Dread filled my soul. However, the next notification provided more news. A small group of students has been caught in a section of the school that collapsed.

I read through the names. Amy Trieflin and Evangaline Olrick were among them.

My breath hitched in my throat. Strangely, no more tears rose to the surface. I swallowed my emotions and slowly smiled.

Good fucking riddance.