4

bruce's pov:

my alarm woke me up once again. i was starting to get sick of the digital numbers staring back at me, innocently as if it hadn't just ripped away my slumber. i groan and get up from my bed, same routine as the day before. only today i was wearing jeans that were too big for me and a shirt that was a tad too small. the pants made my legs look longer and the shirt made my waist look good. the blue jeans complimented the dark green shirt perfectly.

it was getting colder outside so i grabbed my racer jacket. or whatever it's called and headed out, slinging my bag over one of my shoulders. one of my shoe laces were untied as i made my way to the already stationary bus, standing just a few feet from my front drive. i climbed up the stairs and gave the same old woman the same old smile i had given her the day before. now that i think about it, so much has happened in the past couple days.

i sit reminiscing about the things that happened so presently, but seemed so far away. weird how memories work. i put myself to work and brought my leg up onto the bus seat to tie my strewn laces. after creating the perfect bow i grin and place my foot back down. the doors of the bus open with yet another loud creak, just like the day before. and almost like clockwork. he steps onto the bus with a scowl and struts his way down the walkway.

i have to admit. he is pretty. i never would have thought i would be calling a boy pretty but here i am. the way his curls bounce around his face and the way his eyes flicker over the faces of the people he's passing. his gaze makes its way to me and i am greeted with a smile. a pretty one. he sits onto the seat next to mine and we share an awkward look. thinking back to what happened yesterday, it all seemed to click. we were meant to meet each other and we were meant to become friends. i'm not sure how he feels but i am positive i want to be his friend.

vance's pov

why the fuck is he staring at my face? it's honestly getting a bit strange but it also seems that everyone else on the bus is looking at us.

"what are you looking at dipshit?"

the bus goes silent but continues its drive. everyone is watching us. bruce lets out a surprised laugh/cough/scoff sound??? whatever it was, it made me laugh.

"shut up vance."

he lets out a sigh as we both try to stop laughing, the silence of the bus making it more awkward. we had almost arrived to school at this point and people had started to drag themselves towards the front of the bus. i would have followed like a zombie if it weren't for bruce. for some reason i cant be mad around him. he makes me feel good about myself and ma loves him. bruce is talking about baseball and some other stuff while i stare at his face. despite confronting him for looking at me earlier i cant take my eyes off him.

he is extremely likeable, no wonder the rumours i've heard about him. every girl wants him. he never gets below 95% on exams and he is apparently good with kids. not that i care, it's just some of the things i've heard girls chatting about next to their lockers or eating in the lunch hall.

before we enter the school doors i grab his arm and take him around the back of the building. trees are scattered around and the grass is slightly wet. its still a little dark outside because of the change in seasons. god its nearly october. bruce really joined this semester late.

i lean against the wall and pull a box of cigarettes out of my pocket. this was all just to look cool. i never smoke unless i'm stressed. i wore my best jean jacket and jeans to make a good impression. i know bruce wouldn't hang around with someone like me so now i need to make myself as likeable as possible. just like he is.

"can we just skip today. im too tired to listen to shit all day."

i try to look as smooth as possible as i take a deep inhale of the smoke. bruce looks at me and gives me a look. it's hard to describe. looks to be between confusion and amusement.