Who I Am

Jayden Flore opened her eyes.  Monday?  No wait, it was Tuesday.  She slipped out of bed and walked downstairs looking around.  It was eerily quiet.  Where was everyone?  On a Tuesday her older brother is usually playing videogames before school, her dad making pancakes, and her mom reading the newspaper and drinking her coffee.  No sound of Call of Duty, no delicious pancake smell, and no sound of pages being turned and the familiar soft clink of her mom's cup being put gently back down on the table.

     Jayden walked into the kitchen.  There she saw her brother eating a granola bar half-heartedly.  Her mom was sitting beside him, eyes red rimmed and nose stuffy.

"Is something wrong?"  she asked.

     Nobody answered.  She heard footsteps from behind her and turned to look.  It was her dad coming down the stairs.

"Dad?" she asked him.  He walked past her and sat next to her mom.

     Jayden started to get anxious.  She went to shake her brother but...her hands past right through him.  She gasped.

"Mom?!  Dad?!"  she yelled starting to cry, "What happened?!  Are you okay?!  Can you hear me?!"

     She slid onto the floor and wept.  She didn't stop until she heard her brother speak.  She wiped her eyes and sniffed.

"Why did she have to leave us?"  her brother Sam asked their mom.

"It wasn't her choice!"  their mom said and cried into a kerchief.

     Jayden's dad rubbed her mom's back.  Sam left the house.  Jayden followed Sam outside and onto the school bus that was waiting at the end of their driveway.  The bus jerked forward and Jayden made her way to the back of the bus.  Her three best friends were holding each other and crying.  Jayden could no longer resist the truth.  She was dead.  But how?  And why didn't she remember?