Who I Want To Be

I'm in ninth grade now. It's been two years since I died. I've learned how it happened. I know where, and why. But, I don't think you are ready for the truth. I've seen my friends grow without me. Seen them adapt and make new friends. I've seen things people were trying to keep secret. I've seen embarrament, pain, love, hurt, kindness...I've seen it all.

Today is the first official day of grade nine. I'm in the middle of the hall, standing next to my locker, now used by someone else, watching kids run through the halls.

I spot him talking to her. Gabriel; the emo, shy, loner kid; talking to Piper; the hiper, energetic, nerdy girl. He looks like he wants to get away from her. I laugh and walk to science. I still like to learn, and I've grown into a grade nine body.

I walk to the front of the room and stand beside Mr.Mono, our teacher.

"Today we are learning about cells," he says.

Sheesh. Fifth time reviewing this. I shake my head at that and walk out into the hall. Gabriel is walking towards the boys washroom. Yah, ok, so I have a crush on him. Luckily he'll never know. I follow him until her enters the washroom, then turn around and sit on the main stairs.

Gabriel exits the washroom and walks over to me.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" he asks.

I look behind me.

"You silly," he says, "There is no one else here."

My mouth drops open.

"Y-y-ou can s-see me?" I stutter.

"Y-y-ah I c-can," he mimicks.

But how?

"I don't understand, I'm dead!" I protest.

"Suuure, and I'm a zombie," he laughs, "You're not half seethrough like a ghost. You look solid."

He reaches out and...touches me. I actually feel his warm hand brush my shoulder. I shudder.

"N-not possible! I really am dead!" I say.

I hear someone coming down the stairs and bolt upright.

"Yo Gabriel! Is that you? Who are you talking to?" a voice yells down the stairs.

A boy walks into view. It's Vince, a scene boy at the school. He looks at Gabriel funny.

"Dude, talking to yourself aint cool! Get a grip," Vince says and walks into the washroom.

I put my hands on my hips and cock my head at Gabriel.

"Told ya so!" I say.

He gives me a blank stare.

"So I can see ghosts now? And touch them?" he asks.

I shrug.

"I guess so."