What I Do

"W-w-what has finally happened?" I stamper.

Gabriel's dad takes a notebook out of his desk and flips through it. He then hands it to me.

"You see, I've been studying ghosts for as long as I can remember. Here is project number 16. He was just an average ghost, 14 years old, not fully understanding his 'life' as a ghost. I used to talk to him. I was 14 too at the time. He finally met another girl who could see ghosts, she was my best friend. They fell in love with each other, and they fell in love hard. After they declared their love for each other, the boy came back to life as a human precence everyone can see and touch," he says.

I blink twice.

"Soooo, are you saying that since I've fallen in love with a human, I've been brought back to life?" I ask.

He nods.

"If the human says I love you first, then the ghost comes back to life. If the ghost says I love you first, then the human is turned into spirit form," he explains, "Luckily the human said I love you first in this case."

Gabriel and I look at each other and nod.

"Now, when a ghost comes back to life, it can present some problems. If anyone you knew before your death sees you, they can go into shock and people might think they're mad. You have to be careful because if your family or old friends find out you're back, they might freak out and tell the police," Gabriel's dad says.

I sigh. I was hoping I could go see my family.

"I just wish I could go say hi to them....its been two years and they are in so much pain..." I say.

Gabriel's dad nods.

"I know, it's going to be hard for you, just try and avoid the temptation and stick near Gabriel," he says.

I sigh.

"Okay."