Chapter Two

As you may have guessed, I really love science, but school's classes are way too easy.  Sometimes I do my own research. I'm actually really smart, but my grades don't show it. I just don't see a point in writing answers to questions I already know for hours upon hours each day, when I could be working on ways to travel the stars.

I applied to NASA awhile back, but I was rejected. Something about being "too young"? Why should age even matter? Why isn't intellect more important than how many years I've been alive? Well, apparently NASA don't think so! It's so frustrating! Someday, I'm going to sneak into their headquarters, alter one of their rockets and fly away.

In order to do that I'd have to hack into their computers and turn off everything. That's easy because I was born with a seemingly natural understanding of computers. Secondly, I'd sneak in, grab the equipment I need and get to work. You see, the Vandermillians may be very smart, but if you want to learn about space travel you need to tune into the Hurn's converstations. The Hurns are highly respected beings from planet Leltare. Respected by all, that is, except the Talenes. a favorite topic of intergalactic gossip. The Intergalactic newspeople can't seem to get enough of it.

Personally I hate the Intergalactic newspeople. They don't care about information. They only care about ratings and entertainment, so not that different from Earth's newspeople.

Now, I don't really know why the Hurns and the Talenes hate each other so much. I think it was because of some big thing that happened many years before I was born. From what I've heard, the Talene's planet Qaheur was running extremely low on whatever they used to power the starships back then, so they sent some of their people to go undercover and collect the substance and send it back to Qaheur. The problem was that while doing so the Talenes discovered some big secret. Once the Hurns realized what had happened they immediately started working on a memory altering device. But it was to late because the secret the Talenes discovered was the secret to superior space travel, and soon the Hurns and the Talenes had equally advanced spacecrafts. Over the years the Hurns have returned to their place as the best space travel engineers in the galaxy, but the tension between the two civilizations is still very high.

You may be wondering why I listen in on this every night. To give a totally honest response, I'm not really sure. The realization of your place in the universe is equivalent to being hit with a bag of bricks. Equivalent to that sinking feeling in your chest on a rollercoaster. We are tiny in comparison to the endless and vast universe. Everything will eventually come to an end and we can't do anything about it but sit and prepare for the worst. Do you have any idea how hard it is to go about daily life carrying this soul crushing, earth shattering knowledge? Well I'll tell you know it isn't fun. But the thing is, you eventually realize that it's unavoidable, so you can just stop worrying. When you live your life in fear of the future, and reminiscing about the past, it leaves no space for the present and you aren't really living at all. I guess I listen in because it makes me feel like I'm apart of something bigger than just going bout my life, trying to stay happy. Once you know of other life, you can't get enough.

I mean who wants to be friends with a weirdo who believes in aliens? No one. At least that's what I used to think.