Chapter 18

Kidd's ship anchored in the early hours just off the coast of Tulum, You'd never been there before, but you'd heard Edward and Kidd talk at length about the place quite often during late night talks in The Avery, you'd never really paid too much attention to this place they spoke of.

A beautiful location framed with snow white sand and the greenest of sea, colours so vibrant and bright they were enough to hurt your eyes even in the first sleepy hues of daylight.

"Something's wrong here, I can just sense it" Said Kidd looking off into the distance as he began to stride from the beach, plumes of thick acrid black smoke rose from within the thick leafy green jungle that waited before you.

"They could just be having fires to keep warm Kidd....you know the way lots of people do, why is everything so bloody doom and gloom with you mate?" Replied Edward

"Because Kenway, the assassins here are no strangers to trouble finding em......do you remember?" Kidd barked acerbically

"Aye.....well, like I keep saying I'm sorry"

"Are you Kenway? Are you really sorry? See.... I hear you saying the words you're good at saying em but I don't see much in the way of apology from you"

Edward rolled his eyes to the sky as Kidd began to lead the three of you from the deep sand and towards the beginnings of a well trodden pathway into thick jungle.

You glanced wide eyed in awe around you as you walked along the sandy pathway through a thickly covered leafy avenue, you had to push through the vines that hung low in front of you and entwined intricately just above your head.

Progress was painfully slow for the three of you, you pushed aside a particularly thick cluster of undergrowth so you could move forward freely, There on the other side stood a figure of a large male, tall, broad and athletically built, he wore an animal hide which clung loosely to his deep olive skinned muscular chest. Furs for boots and and impressive arsenal of blades on show, he gave you quite a scare.

"OH!!!" You exclaimed loudly taking a jump backwards letting the foliage spring back.

He stepped forward staring at you coldly from underneath his hood, it's shadow it cast across his dark features obscured most of his face but you could just make out some kind of tribal markings under his eyes.

"Yeah ..... There are lots of assassins here lass I forgot to mention" Edward said "not the chattiest of people, just leave em be and they won't hurt you... " he continued

You gasped a deep breath hand splayed on your chest trying to calm yourself

"Oh and stay close, there's big cats here too..... dangerous ones, monkeys that hide high in the trees and throw stuff at ya when you're least expecting it..... oh and man eating crocodiles, don't forget the man eating crocs, as large as a gun boat some of em....... so if you think you see anything.. you say right?"

You nodded quickly with a concerned expression, mouth agog as you turned around on the spot frantically searching for any more immediate dangers.

"Oh come now Kenway, don't scare the girl" Sighed Kidd tiredly as he pushed past you both and continued the journey once more.

Edward smiled, amused at your slight and rare display of fear

"I wouldn't have had you down as scared lass.....Come on" He nodded ushering you forward as you both continued on your way

You began to walk forward cautiously

"Don't worry, I'll protect you love" Edward replied smiling a lopsided smile as he placed his arm firmly across your shoulder