|~•Part One•~| Enter: Karl

Pronunciations/Glossary:

- Anivan - ON-UH-VIN

- Armaven - ARR-MAW-VIN

- Koveil - KOH-VAYL

- Harndal - HARRN-DOLL

- Barnau - BAR-NAW

- Erarty - AIR-ARR-DEE

- Stalwart: loyal, reliable, and hardworking

- Commandeered: stolen, captured

- Inherent: existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute

- Privateer: private individuals commissioned by the government to carry out military activities

- Galleon - large, formidable ships with multiple decks that were used both as cargo ships and warships during the 15th-17th centuries. Pirates desired them for their capacity to hold an immense quantity of cargo and goods, as well as being very sufficiently armed. Typical crew numbers for a galleon ranged between 50-400 people.

- Brig - small to mid-size sturdy warships with 1-2 decks and around 10 to 18 guns. Because of their speed and maneuverability, these ships were also quite popular and common among pirates, as well as armed naval forces.

- Quartermaster - the captain's right-hand man and second-in-command of the ship. After the captain, the quartermaster had the most authority, and was left in charge if the captain was absent. Quartermasters had various responsibilities aboard the ship, including settling crew disputes, enacting punishments when necessary, occasionally leading naval attacks, dividing profits, and managing the ship supplies. Additionally, if a pirate captain captured a second ship and sought out to maintain his own fleet, the quartermaster was the prime candidate to become its captain.

And so it begins...

~~~

1685 A.D.

English quartermaster Victor Anivan, the son of a revered and respected pirate captain, succeeded his father on July 18th, 1685, at the ripe age of 22. The captain had tragically succumbed to a fatal illness, leaving his ship and crew in the hands of his capable son and prior quartermaster. Victor, like his father, was fierce and mighty. Beloved and admired by all on board, his succession was unanimously supported by the ship's loyal crew, who viewed the young man as family.

Victor had a partner, Olivia Lindel, whom he loved dearly. The crew were fond of her, but no one more so than Victor. Victor spoke of marrying her one day, and at the age of 24, such words became a reality. The two claimed themselves as husband and wife in the summer of 1687, and life aboard the ship was well and content. Victor captained the ship with a fierce will and strong spirit, one that knew null of defeat and only of victory and power.

Across the seas, Victor's ship, the Armaven, was a large and sturdy galleon feared by nearly all vessels that crossed its path. Thus, they were hardly challenged by other pirates, navies, or otherwise, and when they were, victory always prevailed. The black flag of the Armaven, adorned with the daunting red symbol of a bloodthirsty shark, struck fear in the hearts of those who came across it. If Victor desired a village or ship to be raided for supplies and gold, its residents had no choice but to surrender as to not provoke the powerful captain and crew. In this era, they were unopposed.

However, shortly after Victor's union with Olivia, they came upon a vessel which proved worthy of opposing. This vessel was called the Koveil, a commandeered galleon like the Armaven, and was captained by a vicious young man named Jasper Harndal. He and his crew were formidable, bloodthirsty, and merciless. They did more than plunder ships and villages; they murdered for sheer thrill, and took pleasure in the spoils they looted from the corpses. On the fateful day of their first encounter, Victor attempted to forge a truce with the Koveil's captain, seeking peaceful coexistence rather than rivalry. However, the opposing pirate captain knew nothing of the former, and upon his command, a battle was initiated. Harndal's goal was to eliminate a worthy competitor, seeking to therefore claim more loot and spoils across the seas for himself.