|•~Part Fourteen~•| An Anivan Victory

Pronunciations/Glossary:

- Imperative: needing to be done

~~~

The Armaven and the Koveil had both lost many men. Though their crews each consisted of several hundred, every loss was felt, experienced, and mourned for. For Harndal, it was not so much mourning as it was the fear of becoming outnumbered. However, the Koveil's captain might consider such a thing as mourning, if he resonated at all with such a word.

The battle was still ongoing; however, men were retreating on both sides due to injury, fear, or the mere fact of being overpowered. Karl and Elias remained together; little had been seen of Jack, the Vasey sisters, or Victor and Henry. All five pirates were alive, only injured in ways that would heal, and Sarah and Lavinia had made their way back to the Armaven with Jack. Shortly after, Ailill had stumbled into Karl's eyesight, remaining frozen for a moment while staring at him and Elias. However, Elias called him over, and Ailill obliged. Blood covered his clothes and swords, but he assured them that it was not the blood of the Armaven. Karl believed him, as he had seen Ailill kill one of Jasper's men earlier in the fight. Such a thing had surprised him, but many things did, in the pirate's life.

However, what surprised him most of all was the sudden approaching of Jasper Harndal, armed to the teeth and bloody, with eyes so dark they almost appeared black. Instinctively, Ailill stepped back, but he didn't run. Not so long ago, he, like Morgan, had sung his praises to Jasper, going so far as to label anyone who turned on Harndal an enemy deserving of death. Now, he was said enemy, if being seen through his own past eyes. Jasper's presence made him visibly nervous. And yet, he didn't run.

Jasper said nothing to him other than three accusatory words. "You, too, Ailill."

Elias moved to shield him. His father stared him down, and as the two stayed glowering at each other, it became apparent to Karl how similar the two truly were in appearance. The main external difference was Elias' dark auburn hair as opposed to Jasper's, which was black. But the moment was eerie. Elias stood against his father, allied with his father's enemy, and devoted to the point where he would fight and die for them. Elias had never possessed a heart as black as his father's; that much was clear. He had merely needed to learn who he truly was.

An Anivan.

However, the standoff between the Koveil's captain and the Anivans was one that would abruptly cease. Suddenly, there was a call from one of Jasper's crewmen to retreat, and with a quick glance to the right, it was revealed that Kieran McGallock's pirates had also begun to board the Koveil. That quickly put Jasper's men at a frightening disadvantage, and the captain immediately confirmed the retreat. Thinking rapidly, he turned and ordered his grunts to 'deal with' Karl, Elias and Ailill, and escaped into the chaos before the three could advance on him. Karl tried, but Elias held him back, and the former quickly realized that pursuing Jasper now would be futile.

Jasper's men were swiftly cutting down the grappling hooks that attached the Armaven to the Koveil, in an attempt to make a hasty escape from a losing battle. Aboard the Armaven, Victor's men on the lower deck fired their broadside cannons at Jasper's ship, and Jasper's cannons shot back, doing equal damage. The crewmen from each side fought with equal might, strength, and a desire for perseverance. However, Jasper's fleet had already begun to make a hasty escape. His ship was fast, rendering him conditioned to quick and evasive maneuvers--maneuvers that had aided him in his entire pirating career. By this time, Karl and Elias had re-boarded the Armaven, and other members of their crew followed suit. Otherwise, they would be left with Jasper and his men, and subsequently overpowered and killed.