|~•Part Six•~| Reunited in Galway

Note: Ravens can live between 10-15 years. For the sake of this story, Arma will live to around 14 or 15 years.

Glossary/Pronunciations:

- Dhann: DON

- Galway: GALL-WAY

~~~

September, 1710

The first of the colder months had descended upon the West Indies. With it came a need to acquire goods and materials by any means, through piracy or legality, and piracy was the preferred and known way of those aboard the Armaven. Such a manner had never done the crew wrong. Victor and his crew were smart; ships targeted by them either had nary a chance of reporting back to higher authorities, or were tipped off to stay silent. It was a process, and most often, a process that worked. It had worked for Victor for over 20 years as captain.

Additionally, at this point, over three years had passed since the tragic passing of young Alfie Barnau and other members of the crew. At the request of a then 16-year-old Karl Anivan, he had urged his father that they track down any and all responsible for the brutal attack, as it had been discovered that the British soldiers were paid generously to do what they did. And said soldiers were no ordinary soldiers. They were trained, it appeared especially so, to deal with fierce and lawless fighters. It was soon realized that these soldiers were privateers disguised as navy, and those who sent them were none other than Jasper Harndal and his men.

But after the attack, Harndal and his fleet fled the region. They were still around, as talk of their sightings was occasionally gossip in coastal towns, but Harndal had essentially gone invisible to anyone who might be trying to find him. It made Karl angry, for all he wanted was to get revenge on those responsible for Alfie's death. Victor knew this, and so against his own better judgment, they searched for the Koveil. But three years passed, and they never appeared to grow any closer. It was unnerving, as there was never once a solid trace of them, yet every man knew that Harndal was still out there, somewhere.

But the crew didn't search forever. Within the first year, if a hint or point of interest was aroused from a local townsperson, they would investigate, but eventually it became apparent that even such clues were useless. As they had seen before, if Jasper Harndal disappeared, he would not be found until he wanted to be. Henry Barnau was the most furious regarding his disappearance, as a once calm and mellow man had devolved into one fuming with rage and vengeance. Three years had helped to mellow him out again, but the first year was his darkest. All he desired was to find Harndal and plunge a sword through his chest, but he never so much as caught a glimpse of the man. No one aboard the Armaven did.

Now, every member of the crew was three years older. The captain's son, Karl Anivan, was 19 years old--a young man who was the mirror image of his father at such an age. Karl's raven, Arma, was nine years old and showed no signs of old age. She was healthy, as Karl kept her so, and loyal as a bird could be. Jackson Dhann, a boy who had grown closer with Karl during the past few years, was 16 years old and still looked up to the quartermaster. The boy now went by Jack, and had since also developed a fondness for the violin, which is what initially softened Karl towards him. Subconsciously, Karl associated the string instrument with feelings of calm and peace, as he had ever since he first heard its melodies. It was a gentle attribute that Victor loved about his son; pirates often didn't get the chance to discover something that gave them true peace.

Victor also enjoyed seeing Karl have a friend again. Besides Arma, his son had been relatively solitary for a period of time after Alfie's death. Victor had always wondered what was going on in his head during that time. But whereas Karl might have once considered Jack to be a nuisance, likely due to the fear that the boy would end up replacing Alfie, those feelings had long since been overridden. Victor ascertained Jack to be Karl's current closest friend, though Karl likely wouldn't even admit the fact himself. Karl was Jack's mentor, in a way; at least the way Victor saw it.