A L B E D O

Present day, Mondstadt, Knights of Favonius headquarters

Albedo saw her before Kaeya did, but he was sure their hearts froze in tandem. Lumine looked as if she stepped out of a memory. Her dress was adorned with blues, golds, and a plethora of symbols most would not recognize.

She looked exactly the same as that day she arrived in Khanri'ah, carrying her brother in her arms. The only indication this was after was the Inteyvat resting gently in her hair. Lumine was beautiful in anything, but Albedo preferred her in a Khanria'ahn dress.

"It's been a long time," Lumine said, heads turning to welcome the new additions to the room. It was clear that no one expected those words, but Albedo could feel Amber's confusion and Kaeya's bubbling animosity behind him. Ever the protective brother, Diluc's brow crumpled.

Diluc knew. Considering the glare he now leveled at Albedo, he likely also knew his little brother's anxiety had more to do with the Alchemist than their surprise guest. Kaeya refused to look at him, eyes focused on Lumine. Albedo did not show it, but he was surprised to see her here. 'Of all the times...she likely has nowhere left to turn I suppose. Kaeya always was the most volatile chess piece,' Albedo thought.

Albedo gave a wry smile. Before Lumine he could not longer shirk his duties–his pledge. Folding one arm gently across his coat, where his heart should be, Albedo bent to his knee. Klee, if she were here, would likely think it some play. He could hear her, screaming in delight, not understanding the betrayal it really was.

Lumine mirrored him, grabbing the hems of her skirt and lowering her head before their Prince. The cold of the tile bit into Albedo's skin through the rough leather of his boots. It was nothing compared to the chills of Dragonspine but as Kaeya walked right past him, Albedo felt more akin to a cryo mistflower than a person.

"You kept us waiting long enough, Aether has told us all about you," Kaeya laughed, holding out a hand to help Lumine straighten herself. Lumine ignored it, backing out of a proper curtsy. She peeked around Kaeya's shoulder with a raised brow, likely wondering what was going on between them. Just like her brother, she could never mind her own business.

"Lumine. It's been an age, truly," Albedo said, dusting off his knee. Even after all these years the gesture felt as familiar as breathing. Kaeya's diversions were futile. The glass house he so carefully sculpted was always going to come crashing down.

"You haven't changed at all," Lumine said. "Even though you're both much taller now. Especially you Kaeya." Albedo tried not to let that comment get to him.

"Five hundred years and you haven't aged a day," Albedo countered. "Fascinating–truly what wonders this world holds." 'I don't trust you,' Albedo thought. He knew Lumine understood his message. From the way his eyes rolled, so did Kaeya.

What unsettled Albedo finally struck him. That was Aether's spot. Lumine possessed it now, with so much grace one might think she was their honorary knight. She looked at home beside Jean's desk, inkwell still open from where Jean was sorting through documents. That was Aether's spot. Aether who no one had heard from in weeks.

"Right," Jean said, looking between the three of them. "As pleased as we are to have you here Lumine. Aether is not here right now." Jean shifted, but it was toward Kaeya. Such subtleties made clear in front of those gathered that this changed nothing–her loyalty was to her friend. 

Jean believed Kaeya was still protecting Mondstadt's best interests.

Jean never extended the same faith to Albedo and she shouldn't. His first priority was always Kaeya.