K A E Y A

Present day, Mondstadt, Dragonspine

Lumine caught her brother as he fell into her arms, his pinky in hers. Kaeya felt the moment the corruption dispersed. Whatever they were, it was stronger than any Gnosis Khanri'ah managed to manufacture, that was for sure.

"Many a wonder, these two," Albedo chuckled, gathering Paimon in his arms. She somehow tumbled out with Aether, as she was inextricably tied to the twins as well.

Lumine said nothing, clutching her brother close to her chest. Kaeya felt his heart squeeze looking at the two of them. Suddenly, he wanted to see Diluc. He wanted to be in Angel's Share like before even if it was just to hear him grumble.

"You could stay, you know?" Kaeya said, raising an eyebrow. "I don't know the full story, and I have no right to get involved seeing as I refuse to use my own chess piece. But Lumi, there's always another way."

Lumine shook her head, pressing a gentle kiss into Aether's forehead. "I want him to find his own path," she smiled. "Like I did."

"If he comes to face you instead of joining you?" Albedo asked and Lumine's smile only grew. Kaeya could not help but find that this love suited Lumine so much more than her rage.

"It's his choice," Lumine said, brushing his bangs back. "I'll respect it."

Whatever she uncovered during all that time, changed her. Kaeya did not know what happened or if anyone was waiting on her now, but Mondstadt would be. Kaeya would make sure of it for the gentle Lumine who saved a child when it wasn't her place. For the girl who took on the rage of a nation that wasn't even hers to save.

"I'll be here," Kaeya said. "Waiting for you." Lumine searched his eyes, her mouth opening gently.

"You don't know how much that means," she said. "Maybe we can see each other again, before the end." Kaeya knew what it was like, expecting to die. Kaeya bent down to pick up Aether. It was a long way back to Mondstadt and he was sure unfreezing an entire city would be just as taxing as holding it had been.

"Don't you know, Lumine?" Albedo asked, as she turned, a herald appearing with a portal for her. "Few things rarely end."

"We'll have to see then, won't we?" Lumine smiled. Then she was gone.

Kaeya could have closed the portal she opened. He could have forced her to stay and at least explain herself to her brother. He wanted to, more than anything, but this was her choice.

Kaeya let go.