A L B E D O

Unknown

Albedo watched, eyes focusing on Kaeya's body in the way he would detail any report. Breathing: elevated. Posture: slight postural dysfunction. Eyes: dilated. Heart rate: likely elevated. Mental state: deluded.

Not that any of his physiological signs mattered here. Albedo took in the surroundings, his office at the Knights of Favonius. It was surprising that this would be the place he retreated to in his mind. Not Khanri'ah. Not Dawn Winery. Not his apartment.

The office of the Cavalry Captain. The Knights of Favonius was always more Kaeya's home, holding more of his secrets and his heart than anywhere else in Mond. 'How long had he been here, locked away in his own mind?' Albedo wondered.

"How are you?" Albedo asked, taking in Kaeya's impassive face. If he was in pain, he didn't show it.

"Everyone calls me a liar," Kaeya laughed. "Why would you ask me?" Kaeya accentuated his question with a chuckle as he slung the closest book off his desk. It crashed into a vase Kaeya insisted was his favorite, but never bothered to put flowers in.

For some reason, here Kaeya envisioned it full of Calla Lilies. The sound of them hitting the floor echoed louder than any scream. Albedo could only be thankful that Kaeya wasn't actually destroying the things he cherished.

Albedo could only watch as the perfectly poised captain continued on his tantrum. It was one of the first things his Master taught him. "Remember this child. Perfection implodes when faced with its flaws."

Albedo knew Kaeya was good at escapism, but this was another level.

"Kaeya, it's okay," Albedo said, finding his voice. Kaeya didn't spare him a look as he laughed, kicking a hole in his desk. 'Jean would have a stroke.'

"She's gone." Kaeya's giggles were turning concerning, too loud and fast to be his usual scoff. "Shouldn't you be heading out too? That's what you people do, isn't it?"

"This is no time for rhetorical quandaries. Tell me directly what has upset you so I can understand." Albedo urged, stepping over a broken frame of them with Klee on Starsnatch Cliff. His fingers danced in the air, yearning to squeeze Kaeya's hand like he had that day.

"Leave," Kaeya bit out. "You all leave."

"I'm afraid that's impossible here," Albedo said, taking one step closer. It was like he was looking at a very good doll. One that looked and acted like Kaeya, but was not quite right. A Kaeya without any of his masks.

It was fraying at its seams.

Kaeya's chest rose and fell, each breath constricting more and more. His eyes were both showing, eyepatch nowhere to be seen, and Albedo felt his stomach lurch at the right eye. 'He activated the gnosis?'

Albedo's hand was on Kaeya's cheek, the smack resounding throughout the room as Albedo shook him. Maybe if he shook hard enough he could force the clever spark that defined Kaeya back into his eyes.

"Kaeya Raginvindr," Albedo spoke calmly, as if he was soothing Klee after a particularly harsh lecture from Jean. "Kaeya we aren't really here. You have to come out. You've got to lower your shield."

Kaeya trembled. From the pain on his face, Albedo regretted saying anything. If only he could sit Kaeya down, hand him a set of reports and get messy charcoal all over his pristine couch.

"Kaeya, drop your shield."

Strangled by his own bitterness, Kaeya whispered, "I don't know how." A crack grew slowly in the wall behind Kaeya. The room was collapsing around them, reality pressing in.