chapter 3 • feelings

"Maybe I'm just losing it out here, but I am seeing real evidence...of a systemic response on a global level." My eyes are glued to the computer screen, watching my Aunt Grace's old video log.

The reason I was sent to Pandora in the first place was for her to watch over me. But she was sadly killed before I arrived.

Even though I didn't have a relationship with my aunt, she was family. I am fascinated with her studies and her contributions to researching the Na'vi.

"I bet she would have loved you."

Startled, I whip my head towards the voice to find Spider propped up against my door frame.

My brows furrow slightly.

When was the last time he's been back at the facility so early?

"I'd like to hope so." I watch him walk over to my desk, placing a hand on the back of my chair. "She was brilliant."

"A part of me does all of this," I subtly gesture to my paper filled desk, "to carry on her legacy. She did so much work for this place."

"Is there more to it than that?" As much as I want to deny it, Spider can still read me like an open book.

I sigh and give a gentle nod. "She was immersed in the nature of Pandora, and I'm stuck here—my only reference to anything out there is from pictures." I decide to leave out the fact that I got my insight from his wonderful stories as well; now that he no longer shares them, I feel even more trapped.

My attention is back on the screen, but I can feel his gaze on me, and it won't go away.

I look back up at him, but those familiar eyes hold something new behind them.

The longer I look into them, the harder it is to look away. He is mesmerizing. A burning sensation is creeping over my face.

"Spider?"

"Hm?" His voice sounds as if he is in a trance. His position doesn't falter.

"Why...are you here?" The simple questions holds so much meaning. He exhales and skims his hand through his knotted hair, internally debating his next choice of words.

The silence has grown thick.

"I missed you Laine." There is a shyness laced in his voice. He runs his tongue quickly over his bottom lip, anticipating my response.

I can't stop the smile that is quickly showing on my face.

"Tell me about your day?" The excitement in my tone is apparent. He breathes out a laugh, and it's not long before I begin laughing too. But our moment of hysterics is cut short because Spider now has his hands clasped around my waist, pulling me out of my chair and into a tight hug.

I don't move at first. How am I supposed to? Spider is holding me, and it feels different—not like how it did when we were younger.

What am I feeling?

I slowly bring my arms up, one wrapping around his torso, the other on the back of his head.

A girlish grin settles onto my face.