Chapter Fourty

Human dignity and the idea of equal rights left my body as soon as Douma showed up.

"So you are saying it felt like two different entities were in that one demon?" Uzui questioned as (Y/n) nodded besides him, both running ahead of Inosuke and Zenitsu.
"Yes, I can't explain it any other way. I am aware that this demon is very strong, but this is too much even for her. Something fishy is going on to her. Could it be that brother she mentioned?"
"Maybe he is with her too and you just felt his lingering aura?" Uzui questioned.
"No, auras don't work like scents, this one was right in front of me. But I don't know from where or how. I just hope we will get in time to help out Tanjiro-kun." (Y/n) gulped, scolding herself for leaving him like that.
"We will be there on time, don't worry." Uzui said nonchalantly, more to calm (Y/n) down than out of care for the burgundy haired boy.
"I hope so..."

(Y/n) looked down sadly, still feeling down over everything.
'Tanjiro... I left him like that without even thinking twice. What sort of friend am I even? And after he went through all that trouble for Nezuko, I should be the last one to cause him so many issues. I still wonder why he wants to be my suitor so bad, there is nothing special about me for him to go after.'
(Y/n) blushed remembering the night Tanjiro and her spent in the garden.
'Now that I think back at it... I did feel some weird sense of joy for him to ask me. And he was always attentive and listened to my issues, patient and kind.' Smiling, she put a hand over her racing heart.
'Now that I think of it, spending time with him always made me feel at peace and he is the only one I can trust with anything.'
A memory of the first winter they spent together hit (Y/n) as she thought more of the boy.

"Fireworks?" (Y/n) questioned as Tanjiro pulled her out of Urokodaki's hut and into the forest.
"Yeah, during New Years they always put on a great firework show! Did you never see that?" Tanjiro questioned, wondering how someone from a richer background never saw them.
"I did... but that was years ago when I saw the last ones, maybe when I was 11 or so l."
"What?! Why?! Do you not like them? Maybe we can do something else!" Tanjiro started panicking, wondering what else there was to do on New years.
"No no! I do like them, but my father and mother always made me study till bed time, and that day or any other holiday was no exception. It was pretty depressing now that I think back." (Y/n) admitted as Tanjiro stared at her in disbelief.
"What? They wouldn't let you go out and have fun?! You know, play and eat all the nice food at those festivals?" Tanjiro wondered, getting mad at the girl's parents for mistreating her. He already didn't like them from the few stories (Y/n) told him, and this wasn't helping at all.
"Well... my father always said girls can't control themselves as well as boys could." The (h/c) girl said back.
'That douchebag! Saying that to a girl, and not just any girl. It's (Y/n)! She is so kind and sweet, how could anyone treat her like that.'

Stopping in his tracks, (Y/n) looked at the boy as put both of her hands into his. The action caused her to blush a little.
"Tanjiro?"
"I promise you then that I will make this evening the best one you ever had! And not just this one, any other as well! You mean a lot to me and I want you to have all the fun you missed out on for years. I really like seeing you smile and laugh, and I will do my best in protecting that."
Feeling a weird warmth wash over her,  (Y/n) shyly nodded her head.
"And I promise to look after you to the best of my abilities. If you are ever in distress or just want some company, I will be there for you. You are a good guy Tanjiro-kun, with everything you went through, you still manage to keep a positive attitude. Don't change that, and I will make sure to protect that part of you."
Tanjiro smiled brightly, feeling like he was flying on a cloud as a gripped (Y/n)'s hand tightly.
'I want to marry her. I found the right one, I am sure of it!'

'That promise I made...and his too. He kept his, and I will keep mine. I won't let you down Tanjiro!' Smiling wider, (Y/n) ran faster as Uzui tried to slow her down.