Chapter 10: World Serpent

Raven:

I slowly opened my eyes, my body back under my control. I blinked a few times, feeling wood under my back. I slowly pushed myself up, looking around. I was now on the dock of a frozen-over beach. For miles I could see ice on the water, starting with a solid sheet and leading progressively to smaller and smaller detached masses.

In front of me was a large forest area as I looked forward, evergreens covered in snow all around in a half circle.

I rolled over, pushing myself to my feet, trying my hardest not to scream at the pain as my burnt hands felt the stinging cold ice. I looked around and- dropped back to my knees, face in my hands.

Next to me, there it was, the weapon given to me by my sword master almost a hundred years ago- it was meant as a symbol of my freedom- since that day, it had been by my side year after year, no matter who left me, no matter what trials came and went... Henry now lay on the ground, his proud blade... duct-taped together like a sick joke.

"Oh dear," came the voice of Maelstrom, slowly walking onto the dock himself. "Did that trinket mean something to you? Hmm- I could give you a matching set..."

I looked to my left and saw my other sword, Sally, resting in her sheath. I grabbed the weapon and hugged her to my chest.

Why? Why was this happening? What was this... creature... what was this thing after? The best attacks of both of me and Jessica only made him happy we had tried. I sobbed, feeling as broken as my first sword. "Don't. Why even bother? I'm clearly no threat to you."

"It might be fun." I held the weapon tight. Yes, it did occur to me my life might be worth more than just some weapon but... this was Sally, I made her with my own hands over the course of a decade. "Well... I suppose I can't have you dying all the same. Not sure if I torture you too much if you'll continue to grace me with your presence." He looked over me, into the vast frozen waters. "Do you know where we are?"

I looked back. "I... no idea," I had to admit.

"Southern Denmark. The first sighting place of... your father."

I blinked, then looked around. "Who... my father?" My breath caught in my throat. My right hand clutched almost involuntarily.

"Struck a cord there?... Oh, I think I may have made an unfortunate misspeak. Is there a scar where a papa should have been in your life? Do you know your daddy?"

"I... no, I've never met him."

"Well- that's too bad," the creature said, that stupid grin continuing to show his face. "I didn't mean your father by birth. I was speaking metaphorically... though I can find your biological father too if you like- maybe should keep my duct tape handy for the-"

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?!!" I screamed at him.

"Oh dear, was that really called for?" the monster asked. "This is the home of the father of your power, the World Serpent. It is the home of Jörmungandr."

"What?... What's that?"

"You have any idea the true origins of our powers?" he asked. I just looked at him. Part of me wanted to just not engage him, to run away like a scared animal as he was so far beyond me... but as long as that didn't seem like an option... these were things every mutant wanted to know. Where did our abilities come from? Why were we different in the first place?

My eyes must have wandered back to him too many times and rested too often between looking for escapes. He knew he had my interest. He explained, "Natural science ignores the spiritual and thus tries to explain everything in its absence." He shook his head. "Logic, imagination, morality, and the concept of God- all these things must somehow be evoked by chemicals under a microscope or we say they aren't real- a childish view of the world. The people who believe that's how the world works were put to the task of unlocking the mysteries of our powers. Is it really a surprise they failed? Child, you have cybernetic parts floating in your bloodstream that give you your powers. Do you really think you can genetically inherit cybernetics?"