Chapter 56: Humbling the Demon

Thor:

The girl held the phone to her chest after deactivating it. "There are other things going on out here," I said, not sure what to say honestly.

"I think I gave her enough to deal with-"

"Get back to camp!" I quickly shouted. "The demon is here!" I had seen with my other eyes, far above us, as something shot across the sky. In my hand Mjölnir transformed into his weapon form as I vanished from human sight and took my true angelic form. I leaped onto the rock and bent my knees to launch myself at the incoming Gilgamesh... the angel who took on the name of Raphael.

I froze in fear.

The angel came down in the midst of the camp, touching down and spreading his hip wings to stop the inertia of his descent. His head turned to face me and he smiled under the wings over his eyes. Holding up his right hand he waved an invitation for me to come and fight him.

I couldn't move as I watched him approach Jessica, running to her family. Why did I have to make this choice? My thoughts screamed to heaven, 'God why do you test me like this? Why make me important? If you want her to survive this why-'

Gilgamesh was blasted off his feet, his body tossed across the snow and crashing into the ground over and over as every head turned to look at his final stop, his body invisible to humans, but the imprint of his impact visible to anyone.

The girl who had been speaking to me started shouting in a different-sounding voice. "That won't hurt him, people, get your defenses up, we have to figure out how to get a hold of his weapon to use it against him."

Carn stood up in the middle of the tents between the two camps and shouted, "form around the impact, Dorn, keep pointing and yell coordinates." The people before me shot quickly to the left and right, forming around the impact sight of Raphael.

I shot into the air and looked down on what was happening. Raphael spun around on the ground in frustration, not bothering to resist the pull, his footprints plainly visible. I could see he had no clue what was happening, and neither did I, but it was putting a smile on my face. Three vortexes formed around the person of Frace as small knives began to orbit Jeda as she eyed the evil angel.

Kyle, Jessica and Xao had drawn their blades as J-Star was programming her device... which I had never seen her do manually so... I had a wager several people weren't where they appeared to be.

Carn stood directly at the head of the group, straight across from Gilgamesh's impact, in the middle of the semi circle half surrounding the celestial at some fifty feet in radius. Carn stepped forward, putting up his fists in a tight guard position with his right hand forward in a fist, left slightly back, and his left slightly bent with his right forward. Two rocks were suddenly torn out of the ground and orbited Carn as an electric vortex opened over his head.

Raphael opened the wings on his hips and bent his legs to take off as Carn shouted "Frace, storm net!"

Frace quickly put a hand forward as an electric twister suddenly formed around our sinister foe. The angel leaped anyway and slammed into the spinning vortex, bouncing off, shooting into a different part of the energy, bouncing again- then bouncing again and again until he was finally face-first in the dirt.

I gripped my hammer. I had renewed confidence. Maybe together we really could beat this freak. Course, at this point there was little I could do myself. If I flew at Raphael that storm of energy would toss me like a toy all the same. I had to just wait.

Kyle's magnets, the telekinetic powers of several of them... who was going to take out the sword Shawunawaz and slay him? Gilgamesh was on the ground and barely moving... What were they waiting for?