Chapter 3: Jewelry

Chapter 3: Jewelry

Third Person:

Gyutaro was utterly confused. It was (Name)'s birthday party, and she had invited them and a couple of her friends to her house. With some of the money Gyutaro earned as helping a lumberjack, he could afford better clothes for him & his sister. They were basically family to the (Surname)s, but they still felt nervous every time they walked into their home.

As they were walking, he had a strong urge that he was forgetting something, but he couldn't exactly pinpoint it.

"Onii-chan! What are you doing?" Ume exclaimed. (Name)'s home was just a few minutes away. They were still early enough to not make a bad impression on the (Surname) family, not as they really could. The family absolutely adored them. "They might be nice, but we can't just... can't just walk in there!"

"Coming," Gyutaro said as he locked his fingers with hers, making sure she didn't wander off. Suddenly, he heard someone yelling.

"GET YOUR JEWELRY! NECKLACES, BRACELETS, AND PENDANTS ARE ALL AVAILABLE!"

That was it! He needed to get (Name) a present! Though neither Gyutaro nor his sister ever actually received any, he saw a few of his mother's customers give her something small, like jewelry.

"Excuse me, sir, may I have a look at them?" Gyutaro asked. The vendor raised his eyebrows.

"Are you sure you can afford them, most of them are 51,566.02 yen (300 US Dollars)?" he asked, not believing the siblings had much money. Continuing, he said, "But, if you insist, no funny tricks! This is a legit, quality business and I don't intend to be robbed!"

Gyutaro nodded as he looked at the jewelry. (Name) had always said she loved bracelets, plus many were in her favorite color. As Ume walked up to him, she saw one that caught her eye.

"Onni-chan! I think (Name) would really like the one with the (f/c) gem in the middle of it!" Gyutaro's sister stated. He looked to where she was pointing. The delicate gem sat on a few, thin strands of gold braided together.

"That one is 70,000 yen (480 US Dollars)! Can you afford it?" the man selling the jewelry asked as he raised his eyebrows. "You don't look like the type."

"Onii-chan! Let's go, this man is being very rude. We can buy (Name) something else!" Ume huffed as she held her brother's hand.

Gyutaro nodded at her before looking back at the accessories one more time. However, something was off. Gyutaro remembered how one day, he saw a man yelling at someone because, apparently, they were selling fakes and charging prices like the real ones.

"That was it!" Gyutaro just had a lightbulb moment. If the gold didn't make a certain glint in the light, it was pyrite, fools gold!

Gyutaro stared at the man. "It's a fake, isn't it?" he huffed.

"HUH! What do you mean! I'll have you know that this is a real, authentic business," he vendor expressed, shaking. His sweat was starting to build up; a kid had just caught him.

"You don't even have a permit." Judging by the way he was trembling, Gyutaro knew he hit spot on. "Now, do me a favor so that I don't report you."