Part Five: Secrets of the Uchiha II

11 years old

*

Ayame flinched every time she heard something hit the wall with a loud thud. She could hear Ryuu's sobs and grunts and muted screams. She sat on the floor outside his bedroom, knees hugged tightly to her chest, her eyes scrunched tightly closed as she listened to his suffering, unable to comfort or help him. She knew he'd only lash out at her. She couldn't believe it, everything felt wrong and numb and strange and just...

"Izara," she sobbed.

Ayame's shoulder shook, and her throat hurt and her eyes burned. She felt numb and like she was going to explode. It felt like a horrible dream, but all too real. Her brother... Izara was gone. It wasn't as if she didn't know it was going to happen. They all knew it would, she'd seen how thin he'd gotten, how much more tired he seemed, how much more affectionate he'd become. But how could you really prepare for someone you loved dying? Even if they were shinobi and death was so common and normal... she wasn't prepared. She clenched her fists so tightly that her fingernails dug into the soft flesh of her hands and broke the skin.

She felt hands wrap around her body, pushing their way under her knees and she opened her eyes to see her father lifting her up, his face pained and eyes wet. She allowed him to pick her up, like she was little again, and threw her arms around his neck, burying her face in his shoulder. He gently rubbed her back as he walked through the house.

"Papa, it hurts," she whimpered.

"I know, Aya," Madara murmured.

She sniffed and held him tightly. "Where's mama?"

She felt him take a deep breath.

"She's resting," he answered. "Will you stay with her for a while?"

Ayame sniffed again. She wanted her mama, but she was scared of something. Scared that maybe her mama wouldn't want her there. Scared that her mama would wish it were her instead of Izara that was gone. But Ayame was a shinobi, and she was the daughter of the strongest kunoichi and Madara Uchiha. She wasn't going to run away because she was scared.

"Okay," she answered. "Ryuu..."

Madara gave a small grunt. "It's okay, Aya. I'll take care of your brother."

Ayame pulled back. "Are you okay, papa?"

Madara gave her a tired smile and set her down on the ground. He crouched in front of her.

"We are Uchiha, Ayame. Do you know what our eyes mean?"

She shook her head.

"It means that no matter the hardships we face, the Uchiha endure and move forward," he told her. He laid a hand on his heart. "They are proof that, despite what opinions other clans might have about us, we feel deeply. Grieve for your brother, and honour him by living for him."

Ayame looked at him for a moment before she sniffed deeply, wiped away the tears on her face and rubbed her nose. She took a deep breath and he gave her a tight, sad smile.

"Go be a good girl and comfort your mother, Aya," Madara said to her.

He stood and left her in the corridor outside their bedroom. Ayame heard silence through the door and opened it cautiously.

"Mama?" She called out.

The was a soft rustling of the blankets, and Ayame saw Sakura turned to look at her. Ayame felt her chest flip when she saw the red rims around her eyes.

"Aya? Are you okay?" Sakura asked, her voice hoarse.

Ayame nodded. With shaking legs, she walked over to Sakura and slipped into the bed. Her mother wrapped Ayame in her arms.