chapter 2

today at school i met a somewhat popular girl. her name is astrid. she has blonde hair and is friends with the two girls i saw earlier which i found their names are evie and tracy. astrid gave me her number and told me her, tracy and evie where going shopping and i could come along if i would like. i told her sure. she wrote down her number on a piece of paper and told me to give her a call when i got home. i sit in my 6th period class (last class of the day) feeling anxious but excited. the science teacher is drowning on about kinetic energy or something. for someone with such good grades i pay zero attention to the the teacher. i watch the clock and it feels like it'll never change. then the teacher tell us to pack up our things. thank god! finally i get to go home. i shove folders, notebooks, binders, my pencil pouch and my book into my bag. then the bell rings. the teacher tells us we can leave as a big crowd of kids run through the door. talk about people traffic. i push through all the groups of talking girls and obnoxiously loud boys to the hallway. i basically run to the exit. we have to wait for our parent outside the front of the school. the minute i push open the door the blaring, unbearable sun starts to shine on me. today was a hot one. i squint my eyes trying to see through the bright sun and find evie, astrid and tracy. finally, i see them. tracy is talking to a boy from our 4th period, i think his name is javi. evie and astrid are both talking to each other. i walk over to them. "hey girl!" astrid says. "hi." i reply. "who's this astrid?" tracy asks. "this is scarlet." astrid says introducing me. "cool. why haven't we seen you around?" evie asks me. "i just moved here." i say. "yeah, remember evie, she's in our 4th period!" tracy says. "yeah. i remember." evie says. "well scarlet. i'm evie zamora. this is tracy." evie tells me. "it's cool if she comes shopping at mel rose with us right?" astrid asks them. "yeah. it'll be fun." evie says. "totally. if you want, we're all having a sleepover at mine after. you can come." says tracy. "sure!" i reply. "oh shit. my moms here. bye astrid, bye scarlet, nice netting you." tracy says. evie follows behind her. i watch as they get in the car. i cannot believe they wanted to be my friend. me and astrid chitchat a little until my mom pulls up. "oh, my moms here. i'll see you later." i say as i walk off to moms car. i open the passenger door and get in. i sit my backpack in the floor. "how was your day honey?" my mom ask me. "good." i reply. "did you make any friends?" she ask me. "yeah, three actually. we're gonna go shopping later at mel rose. is that okay?" i ask her. "of course baby." she says. "maybe could i stay the night too?" i ask her. i know she will say no. she says no to any sleepovers on school nights. i hate that about her. she thinks i'll stay up all night and not be able to focus the next day or something. it's so dumb i swear. "sure baby." she says. what? she said yes? that's weird. i mean, she has been acting weird ever since the divorce. she probably feels bad or something. i don't really know nor do i really care. i'm glad she said yes. "thanks mom!" i exclaimed. "you're welcome honey. i'm just glad you're already making friends." she says. honestly me too. "so, how did you like the school? is it nice? are the teachers nice?" she ask. "it's fine." i reply. it's not fine. the school is so dirty. the lockers have stuff all over them. the toilets, disgusting. and the lunch. don't even get me started on the lunch's. today we had "chicken tenders" the chicken was so rubber you could barely bite it. the doge balls were molded over in gym. like, how do doge balls grow mold?!? whatever. i just have to learn to except my new, horrible, miserable shitty life. but, let's look on the bright side. i made new friends with the coolest most perfect people ever on my first day. i thought it would be hard. like they would make fun of me or something. but no! they liked me almost immediately. that's really weird but i'm really glad. once we pull up to the house i grab my bag and basically jump out the car and run into my crappy apartment. i throw my back pack onto the couch and speed up the stairs to my room where i have a home phone. i pull out the sheet of paper from my back pocket. "astrid's cell" it says with a bunch of random numbers. i dial in the numbers she wrote down for me and it rings for a second. "hey!" i hear her say over the phone. thank god she didn't give me a fake number or something! "hey." i say. "what time are we going to mel rose?" i ask. "like 4:30 i think." she says. "kay, see ya in a bit!" i reply. "alright, bye bitch!" she says. "bye!" i reply as i hang up the phone. i run back down stairs and pull out my home work. i walk over to the kitchen table and start to work on it. before i know it it's almost time to leave the house. "mom! are you ready to go?" i yell out. "yep!" she says as she walks down the stairs. we walk out the door and into her beat up crappy blue car. "okay, do you know where this place is?" my mom ask me. "yeah, it's over by that mcdonald's that you go to every morning." i tell her. "ohhhh" she says. a little later we pull up to the shopping center. i start to get out the car because i see evie tracy and astrid waiting outside. then, my mom try's to get out. "mom!" i yell. "what?" she ask as she gets back in the car. "cant you just go do something else while we shop?" i ask her impatiently. "baby, i don't want you out all by yourself." she says. "tracy's mom is gonna be with us." i reply. "it'll be fine mom, i swear." "fine." she says. "see ya tomorrow after school!" i say as i close the door. "hey girls!" i say walking up to them. "hey!" evie says. "let's go shopping!" tracy says. "yeah!" everyone yells. we first run into a store called "red balls" who on earth would name a store that? tracy evie and astrid look around at the jeans. then, they walk over to the jewelry area of the story. i kinda just follow them around because i don't really know my way around. "oh these is cute!" evie says picking up a pair of gold hoop earrings. "they are!" i say. then evie lookings over to the teenage cashiers. once she realizes their not looking she shoves the hoops into her purse. i don't even know what to do. do i seem lame and not do it? or should i just take what i want? i could just play it off like i don't want anything from this store. then tracy holds up a silver necklace with a cross on it. "this would look so cute on you!" she says. "oh my god! yeah it would!" evie exclaimed. "yeah!" astrid says. "it's cute." i say. "take it." evie reply's and hands me the necklace. i guess one small necklace couldn't hurt anything. i put it into my bag. after a few minutes all the girls had stuffed their bags full of things they weren't gonna pay for. then they just walked out the store. we ran over to a bench farther away from the "red balls"
store. they pull all sorts of thing out of their bags like necklaces, bracelets, earrings, hair clips, and a bunch of other things. where i'm over here with one thing feeling so guilty. they are showing of the things they shoplifted when tracy's mobile phone rang. all we could hear was: "mommmmm! no! let us stay longer! we're having fun! god! you ruin all of my fun. yeah, we're sitting on the bench by the sketcher store. god. okay. fine. bye!" "god damn it! my mom is pulling up." tracy says in anger. "it's alright trace. we got some pretty good stuff for the time we had to shop." evie reply's trying to calm her down. then tracy's mom pulls up. tracy get in the front while me astrid and evie get in the back. "hey girls." tracy's mother says. "who's this?" her mom says in a cheery tone. "mom, this is our new friend scarlet. she just switched schools." tracy says introducing me. "hello scarlet." her mom says. "hi ms. freeland." i say. "oh please, call me mel." mel insisted.