Part 1.2: The Dream

The Nightfort

298 AC

Season 1, Episode 1

Lord Commander Jeor Mormont POV

Wake.

Undress.

Bathe.

Dress.

Eat.

Command.

Order.

Lead.

Eat.

Undress.

Bathe.

Dress.

Sleep.

And Fucking repeat.

I sigh, looking down from above on a tall tower where my quarters lies. I see the men who I command working in a variety of things. The Builders from all sixteen forts gathering today to discuss plans and schedules for maintenance for the sixteen forts and the Wall. The Stewards of the Nightfort working already working overtime to feed the many mouths for the soldiers of the Nightfort. Finally, the Rangers who are currently practicing their sword fighting with the others Rangers and rookie Stewards. However, I don't see my Master-at-arms anywhere. Wonder where he is right now?

"Hello Lord Commander." And I jumped a little so slightly.

I turned over my right shoulder to Master-at-arms who is going to be fired and executed for almost giving me a damn heart attack.

I exhale the air from my old lungs and remove my hand from my chest. I glared at the man who just casually leaning on the door frame with his arms crossed and legs crossed as well with a blank face and eyebrow raised at me, but I could still see the mirth dancing in his eyes. The audacity.

"Did you have to sneak up on me Ser Alliser?" I barked at him. Seriously somehow he could sneak up on people like a damn shadow and he is near fifty!

The Master-at-arms snorted, "If you can't hear my footsteps or feel the floor vibrating Lord Commander you're losing your touch then." Alliser finished with a smug smirk on his face.

My eye twitched. Then I took my leg and swiped at Ser Alliser's legs that look mighty vulnerable from leaning on the door frame for a while.

Alliser fell and I give my own smug smirk before stepping over his fallen body and head out of the room with Alliser on my heels.

"Before I rudely scared you Lord Commander," I glared at him for reminding me that. "what was on your mind and don't say "nothing" because I heard you sighed." Alliser questioned with a some concern on his face.

Prick.

I looked at him, judging if it was right to tell him. I never really trusted him since he joined the Night's Watch after Robert's Rebellion. He was always talking to the Maester from our neighboring fort, Deep Lake. Anthony or something...Aemon! Yes Aemon. Very old that man, probably a hundred right now.

I looked at Alliser and his face still had some concern but I wonder if it genuine or fake. Then I took a gamble.

I turned my head forward while walking down the stairs to the bottom of the tower. Why did I have to pick this tower?! Damn my ego!

I looked down, my back arched feeling the age that was built over the years showing, "I thought being in the Night's Watch would have gave me some purpose. I thought being in the Watch would have been honorable and worth dying for, for the Realm, for my family, for Jorah. But I feel like I am wasting my life for something that is not worth it anymore.